Chapter 43: Pulling the Puzzles Apart. Part 2.

I’ve never been the one for praying, in my mind it’s the same as begging. But right now I am begging; I’m praying and begging. I need an angel. What other option did I have? My best friend is on life support after having CPR preformed on her. That painful nothingness filled me as I begged for her life to be spared. I’d do anything to keep her alive; I’d sell my soul for her. I’d do anything to make these memories less painful to think.

I waited patiently out in the waiting room at the free clinic. The nurse behind the desk watched me carefully, her brown eyes following me as I paced back and forth. She’s more than once told me to sit down and chill out, how can I chill out at a time like this? I might be a dad! This is the scariest moment of my life, honestly it’s beyond terrifying. How did this happen? I made sure that we were safe but somehow something went wrong.

I paced back and forth in the waiting room, Rosie was away in the examination room knowing weather or not she’s pregnant. I really hope she’s not; I don’t want a son or daughter. I’m only thirteen, there is no way I’ll be able to father a baby. I really hope that this is just a scare and there is no little me that’s going to be running around.

“Sir, can you please sit down.” The nurse asked me in a demanding way. She caught my attention. My gaze ran up to her with a nervous expression. I did as she said and sat my butt down in a seat; my heel tapped the concrete floors nervously. Seconds seemed like days when you’re waiting for results of something this big.

My heart jerked when Rosie came out into the waiting room with tears running down her face. She wore a nice blue summer dress and black flats. Her hair was tied back. And her makeup was smudged badly. Her hazel eyes wandered up to meet mine.

“The Doctor wants to talk to us alone.” She said softly. I swallowed hard and nodded, getting up. The nurse watched me carefully as I walked by in my denim board shorts and white tee shirt. Rosie led me down a long dimly lit narrow hall way. My stomach was knotting a thousand times with every step I took. We walked into a room with plaques on the bland walls along with pictures of her kids and drawings they’ve done for her. I closed the door behind me and sat down in front of the large oak desk. The red haired doctor wore her long slick hair tied up. Her blue eyes examined the pair of us closely before opening a file. My stomach dropped and my heart raced even faster. It felt like I was going to die or my heart will jump out of my chest and run away.

Rosie and the Doctor talked a little bit while I was completely zoned out. How could have this happened? I mean, I know how it happens but why me? I believe everything happens for a reason, what’s the reason that I’m going to throw away my entire life to be a dad? Why did I have to be a dad so young? Why do I need to throw away all my hopes and dreams to raise this baby?

“How do you two feel about this whole thing?” She asked curiously. I swallowed hard and shrugged along with Rosie.

“I don’t know, it’s scary that I’m here in the first place.” Rosie said softly. I nodded in agreement. I couldn’t believe I was here to begin with. I didn’t want to be spending my Saturday at the free clinic. The Doctor smiled and looked at me.

“James, what if I said the results were negative? What would you do or feel?” She questioned me. I shrugged again with no reply.

“I guess I’d be happy and a bit sad.” I replied with a calm voice. The Doctor tilted her head at me.

“Why would you be a bit sad?” She asked. I licked my lips and sighed heavily as I was about to let everything in my heart out.

“I’d be sad because wouldn’t it be cool to have a kid? To show them the way through life? To have someone look up to you like you’re the greatest thing in the world? Wouldn’t it be nice to have someone to wake up to every morning?” I poured out all my emotions. The Doctor and Rosie sat there with wide eyes and a confused expression. At first I didn’t want a baby but now I’m seeing that having a child wouldn’t be so bad. I love having someone look up to me like I’m the best thing on this planet.