xix. seeing through illusions

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"Come on, Hermione, Deanna wouldn't want to see you like this," said Ron, exchanging worried glances with Harry. Ever since the departure of the Dumbledores five days ago, Hermione was a mess. She didn't sleep well, she couldn't eat well and she kept on staring at the Hufflepuff table.

Instead of spending her time at the library like she always did, Hermione would instead walk past the Headmaster's office, which closed itself off to Umbridge, to Hermione's delight, or she would go to the kitchen where the house-elves had warmed up to her after seeing her countless times with Deanna.

"I know," said Hermione in a grim tone. "I just..."

"Just what?" Harry and Ron asked simultaneously.

"Miss her," said Hermione in a soft voice. She sighed and took her bag. "I'm going to get some work done. We've got a Transfiguration essay for tomorrow." When she left, the two boys shook their heads and looked back at their food. It was Easter, and they didn't have any homework.

Hermione did not go to the library or Gryffindor Tower. She went up to the Headmaster's office and smiled slightly. She remembered the memory of her and Deanna almost kissing in her room. That was the memory she had been thinking of when she cast her Patronus. That was just the effect Deanna Dumbledore had on her. She made her feel joy when she was there and sadness when she wasn't. Knowing Deanna was gone even if it was just for a while made Hermione feel this emptiness she had never felt before.

"Will you just stand there?" Hermione jumped and looked to her right to see nobody. She looked around and shook her head, thinking she was hearing things. "Right here, you..."

Hermione gasped when she realized it was the gargoyle who spoke. "You can talk?"

"I am talking to you now, am I not?" said the gargoyle, making Hermione blush. "And she said you're brilliant."

"Who?"

"Why, Deanna Dumbledore, of course." The words made Hermione turn even redder, but her face suddenly fell at the mention of the Dumbledore and  once again, she felt the emptiness in her.

"You could come in," said the gargoyle.

"Really?" said Hermione in surprise. "But Umbridge-"

"Will never be Hogwarts' Headmaster. You are a friend, maybe more than a friend, of my master. Now quickly. Before someone sees." He swung forward and revealed the staircase to the Headmaster's Office.