xlv. goodbye, dumbledore

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

It was the morning after Dumbledore's death. Hermione was woken up due to the sound of shuffling. Slowly sitting up, she looked around and saw Deanna packing away her stuff into the bag Dumbledore gave her. She got scared at the thought that Deanna might be running away. "Deanna?"

"Oh, you're awake." Deanna zipped up her bag and sat down beside Hermione with a small smile. "Did you get to rest well?"

"Yeah," answered Hermione, still bothered by the fact that Deanna packed her stuff. "How about you?"

"I slept as well as I could." Deanna took Hermione's hand and kissed it softly. "Thanks to you. I never got to thank you for everything... Thank you, Hermione."

Hermione momentarily forgot her concerns, her eyes softening. "You don't have to thank me, Deanna. I'll be here for you no matter what." She and Deanna smiled at each other for a few moments, both not saying a word because their actions were enough to convey their feelings. She suddenly remembered Deanna's bag and decided to just ask about it. "Are you going somewhere?"

"Oh, yeah." Deanna nodded, picking up her bag. "I already told Minerva and Pomona about it. I'll be staying out for a while." She let out a soft and defeated sigh before looking into Hermione's eyes. "I really am thankful for you, Hermione. You definitely helped me a lot, but I still need some time alone. Some time to just think, and I can't do it here... I hope you understand."

"You don't have to worry about me, Deanna." Hermione replied gently. "Just do what you need to do."

Deanna smiled at her gratefully, thankful her girlfriend was so understanding. "Thank you, Mione." She rested her head on Hermione's shoulder and closed her eyes, just savoring this moment of warmth and comfort. Hermione kissed Deanna's head and wrapped her arms around the smaller girl, just content with the fact Deanna opened this much to her.

Deanna looked around the room, realizing it may be the last time she would be there. She wasn't going back. Not when she had a mission to do. She needed to look for the Horcruxes as her father wished.

Deanna thought about the place she was going to go to soon, and she couldn't help but sigh. She had to do it again, but she didn't know if she could do it to these people.

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"Thank you for walking me here." Deanna gave Hermione's hand a squeeze as they finally reached the carriages. She could see the looming figure of the Astronomy Tower from where they were, but she decided to focus her attention on Hermione instead.