ix. uncle aberforth

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

When the clock struck midnight, Deanna muttered a good night to Umbridge and stood up to leave, her aching hand, bleeding so bad with the words Deanna knew would be etched forever on her skin, but finally, her week was over.

"Miss Dumbledore," said Umbridge suddenly. Deanna turned around with a raised eyebrow. Umbridge smiled and walked over to Deanna so that they were face to face and whispered in a low tone. "You know what you must do, right?"

"What... Professor?"

"You should not tell anyone how you've returned," said Umbridge dangerously. "In fact, you know to yourself you should not have returned at all. Right now, Dumbledore is treading dangerous waters with the Ministry because of you. If you hadn't returned, he wouldn't be stripped of all his titles that he worked so hard for. He's losing everything because of you."

Deanna's eyes kept their cool, but her heart rammed against her chest as she stared into Umbridge's eyes. Dumbledore was losing everything? All because of her? She knew how hard her father worked to get where he was right now, and she was causing all his problems?

"And you once loved a monster, Miss Dumbledore, and I think that is enough for me to tell what you are. You're a monster, Dumbledore. How could you have returned fifty years later, still the same age you are? It's because you're just as much as a monster as He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was. You've loved a monster to the point that you became one yourself."

And Deanna felt her hands shaking, but she kept her voice as steady as she could. "Is that it, Professor? You better get ready then. This monster's resilient, and she's still glad she returned." Without waiting for Umbridge's response, Deanna turned around and left the office. She walked fast and kept her head down, thinking about what she just heard. Her father was losing everything all because of her. She didn't know it was because of her. She hated it. She hated that she was making him give up everything because of her. She knew how hard she worked for it, how he had to fight even the man he loved all for the greater good.

Stopping right in front of the portrait of fruits, Deanna started thinking. Was it even worth it to return? It seemed her return had more drawbacks than benefits. Her father was losing everything, Umbridge was at Hogwarts, Harry was getting more scars, Voldemort was gaining power... Maybe... Maybe, Umbridge was right. She really was a monster. She thought she had been doing good when all she was doing was hurting others.

But Deanna knew that she didn't become a monster because she loved Tom. It was because she had the darkness in her all along. And a thought hit her. Voldemort said she was the reason all this happened. What if she pushed him to act on his darkness? What if she was the one who was dark between the two of them after all? Deanna's stomach suddenly dropped. It was her fault. All her fault. She shouldn't have returned. She shouldn't be here right now.