xxx. albus and tom

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"He has good reason to suspect Draco Malfoy." Deanna tried reassuring Hermione after Hermione had told her about Harry's Malfoy-Is-a-Death-Eater theory. After her talk with Pansy Parkinson, Deanna had promised to keep what she knew a secret, and she would also keep her promise to Harry by keeping her eye out for anything suspicious, but apparently, Malfoy was in detention that Sunday so how had he done it?

"But still –"

"Don't worry. If it reassures you, I'll talk to him." Deanna pat her on the shoulder and cursed mentally when she saw the time. She was late already by a few minutes. "I'll catch you later, eh?" She started running towards the Headmaster's office. She was too invested in her conversation with Hermione that she almost forgot about her lesson with Dumbledore and Harry.

Hermione watched her go with a soft smile before making her way towards the common room. At least, her worries had gone away due to her talk with Deanna. She just hoped that the girl would actually talk to Harry. She was only worried for her friend after all.

"I'm here!" Deanna panted once she arrived and there was Harry and Dumbledore, smiling at her. She noticed that Dumbledore was looking exhausted when she had just seen him that morning and told him about Katie Bell. "Pops... where have you been?"

"Soon, love. In due time..." Dumbledore then tapped the Pensieve. "Let us start now. You will remember, I am sure, that we left the tale of Lord Voldemort's beginnings at the point where the handsome Muggle, Tom Riddle, had abandoned his witch wife, Merope, and returned to his family home in Little Hangleton. Merope was left alone in London, expecting the baby who would one day become Lord Voldemort."

"How do you know she was in London, sir?"

"Because of the evidence of one Caractacus Burke," said Dumbledore, "who, by an odd coincidence, helped found the very shop whence came the necklace we have just been discussing."

Dumbledore swilled the contents of the Pensieve and a little old man who rose like a ghost yet his hair covered his eyes.

"Yes, we acquired it in curious circumstances. It was brought in by a young witch just before Christmas, oh, many years ago now. She said she needed the gold badly, well, that much was obvious. Covered in rags and pretty far along... Going to have a baby, see. She said the locket had been Slytherin's. Well, we hear that sort of story all the time, 'Oh, this was Merlin's, this was, his favorite teapot,' but when I looked at it, it had his mark all right, and a few simple spells were enough to tell me the truth. Of course, that made it near enough priceless. She didn't seem to have any idea how much it was worth. Happy to get ten Galleons for it. Best bargain we ever made!"