viii. a dallas choice

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

The week passed by slowly for Deanna, who acted as if everything was fine. She had a huge amount of homework that she did in the kitchens or in the bathroom, and Umbridge would always keep her and Harry until midnight so she would have only a few hours of sleep. She avoided Dumbledore and slept in the kitchens for the rest of the week. Harry and her had a silent agreement not to tell anyone about what they were going through. It was their fight. On Friday before her meeting with Umbridge, Harry had apologized once more for her taking his detention and having to suffer another week of Umbridge's torture, but Deanna told him again and again that she was fine.

Everyone was worried for her. The Hufflepuffs were asked by Dumbledore if Deanna was sleeping in their Common Room, but they said no, thinking she was sleeping in the Headmaster's Office. The badgers exchanged uneasy glances but knew they shouldn't push on. Deanna had walls all around her, and they shouldn't do anything to make those walls grow higher. In the short durations of his free time, Dumbledore would look for his daughter but couldn't see her during meals or those times. He knew there was something wrong with her, and every time he would think of a reason as to what was wrong her, his concern would grow more and more.

To avoid everyone, Deanna usually stayed with Myrtle and Peeves in the bathroom, telling them about what she was going through. The two ghosts were absolutely horrified and their hatred for the professor in pink grew even more, but they knew that they couldn't tell anyone because telling people, especially Dumbledore, was breaking Deanna's trust.

It was Saturday morning. Deanna was doing her homework in Astronomy. The doors to the kitchen suddenly opened, and Deanna's eyes widened when Hermione came in, rushing to her. "There you are, Deanna."

"Her –" Deanna was cut off when Hermione suddenly hugged her. "How did you find me?"

"Professor Dumbledore asked us where you were," said Hermione, pulling away. "And we said you've been sleeping in the our Common Room because you're busy with homework."

Deanna sighed in relief. "Thank you, Mione, but how did you find me?"

Hermione smiled softly at the use of her nickname before glaring at the girl. "Give me your hand."

"W-What?" said Deanna, her heart beating fast. Did she know? Did Harry tell them? Hermione raised an eyebrow and Deanna let out a sigh before holding her unscarred hand out. "Here."

"The other one." Deanna looked down. Hermione Granger surely was persistent, but she had no escape anymore. She held out her right hand, and the Gryffindor gasped as she read the words on the back of Deanna's hand.