lxvi. the tragic fates

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

The only sound that filled the silence was the sound of Deanna's cries that she was trying to hold back. The trio of Gryffindors glanced at her sadly, knowing it must have been hard for her. Snape killed her father, but she still tried to save him, only to see the professor die in front of her. She still felt sorry for him even after everything. In the end, Deanna still was too kind to even hate the person she should have hated the most.

"You have fought valiantly but in vain."

Suddenly then, Deanna felt her head ache again and curled in on herself at the immense pain she felt, holding her bloody hand to her head. She saw Harry holding onto the window for support and Hermione holding her hands to her ears while Ron was walking around, trying to see if Voldemort was there. Deanna knew then he was not just speaking to her and Harry. He was speaking to everyone.

"I do not wish this." The Heir of Slytherin continued speaking. "Every drop of magical blood spilled is a terrible waste. I therefore command my forces to retreat."

Deanna wasn't surprised anymore, remembering what he and Snape were talking about a while ago. He was waiting for her and Harry to come to him.

"Come on, Dee."

Casting a last glance at Snape's body, Deanna felt herself being helped up by Ron and the two of them along with Harry and Hermione went out to see Hogwarts burning and wrecked. It did not look like the home they once had.

"In their absence, dispose of your dead with dignity." Voldemort said before his tone turned dangerous as he addressed Harry and Deanna. "Harry Potter, I now speak directly to you. On this night, you have allowed your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. There is no greater dishonor. Join me in the Forbidden Forest and confront your fate. If you do not do this, I shall kill every last man, woman and child who tries to conceal you from me. And you, Deanna Dumbledore. Wait for me, dear badger. I'm coming for you."

He stopped there, and Deanna could feel the pain in her head lighten a little. It was still there, but it became better. They all looked to Harry who was staring straight ahead. He let out a sigh before looking at them. "Let's go."

"How about..." Ron trailed off, referring to Snape's body.

Harry wordlessly brought out his wand and cast a blanket over his old Professor's body, still holding on to the flask of Snape's tears. "We'll come back for him."

Without another word, they started walking up the long staircase. Deanna was still leaning onto Ron for support for she could still feel the pain in her head. Maybe, it was because Voldemort was getting weaker with every Horcrux destroyed. That was why she was also hurting more.