xliv. the rage of the phoenix

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

Deanna dropped to her knees, the tears that had been waiting fell with her. Not a sound left her mouth. It couldn't be. It couldn't have happened. She knew something was going to happen. Something horrible, but it was a dream right? It was just a nightmare?

"Out of here, quickly," said the voice of Snape, leaving the Tower with the rest of the Death Eaters and Malfoy. The same voice that spoke the spell that killed her... no, he wasn't dead. He was just there, hanging on as he always did. He was just waiting for her. As he had been for the 50 years Deanna was gone.

As the door closed, Harry seemed to snap out of his shock. He took off the Invisibility Cloak and looked at Deanna with worry. "D-Deanna, I –"

Standing up, Deanna wiped away her tears and smiled weakly though she did not meet Harry's eyes. "What are you saying, Harry? He's still out there. He's just waiting for us to help him, look." She made to move towards the edge of the balcony but Harry quickly held her back.

"Deanna, please." Harry's voice cracked and a tear slipped from his eye. It was just unfair, heartbreaking. Deanna and Dumbledore were separated for 50 years because of a man who was blinded by power, and now, they were separated once more but this time for good. And to think, it was Snape who had done so. Snape who Dumbledore trusted with his life.

"Let me go, Harry," said Deanna, trying to keep her voice calm and struggling against Harry who tightened his grip on her. "We need to help him so let go, damn it! He's not –"

"Deanna, please!" Harry shouted, letting his tears fall freely. Deanna stopped moving at his shout. She clenched her fists and tried to stop her tears from falling to no avail. Her father was still there. This was just a stupid nightmare. It was a mistake. He wasn't dead. He wasn't...

"I'm so sorry, Dee. But he's gone."

Silence. It was silent for a few moments. Harry was about to apologize for his bluntness when he felt Deanna's body shaking. "Deanna?"

"He's gone?" Deanna whispered in such a broken voice Harry could not help but feel his heart break once more for the bright Hufflepuff. "He's gone. Professor Snape..."

Saying his name seemed to wake Deanna up because there was a fire in her eyes. Anger, hatred, pain. Harry was so surprised by the fire in Deanna's eyes and the sudden heat that came from her body that he let go of her. Her body was illuminated by a golden light for a split second that Harry thought he imagined it, but seeing her eyes flash gold made Harry sure what he saw was not a trick of light.

The heat wasn't the type of warmth that came from Deanna. It was a burning fire that aimed to destroy. It was his first time seeing her so angry. She was calm and collected just like Dumbledore, but in that moment, there was only anger and pain in her.