xvi. warmth in winter

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"Pops?" said Deanna gently the next morning, going to her father at his table.

"Yes, love?" said Dumbledore, setting down his cup. Deanna hesitated before nodding and sitting down in front of him. She stared into his eyes and remembered what he had said about Legilimency.

"He's happy," Deanna blurted out. "I don't know why, but he's-he's happy." Dumbledore was about to say something when an owl came in with its usual copies of the Daily Prophet in hand. Deanna took one and read the headlines. So, that was why Voldemort was so happy last night. His faithful Death Eaters had escaped from Azkaban.

"Fabian and Gideon Prewett?" said Deanna confusedly, reading Antonin Dolohov's crimes. "W-Who are they, Pops?"

"They're Molly's brothers, love," said Dumbledore seriously, reading the paper too. "Twins as well." Deanna just nodded and read more. There was an Augustus Rookwood, and she gasped when she saw a girl with unkempt hair and a crazy look in her eyes.

"Druella?" she said then frowned when she read that the girl's name was Bellatrix Lestrange, and she glared at the witch when she had read what she had done. "She tortured the Longbottoms to insanity? Are they Antonia's grandchildren Pops?"

"Frank is her great-grandson while Alice is his wife. Antonia and Terrence had a son named Romeo. Neville is Frank and Alice's son, love, and he lives with his grandmother." Deanna just nodded and stared down at Bellatrix Lestrange's picture. She didn't meet her yet, but Deanna thought she was probably just like her mother.

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"Neville?" said Deanna as she came into the Room of Requirement. Only the two of them were there, and Neville was staring up at the picture on the mirror. She walked over to him and looked at what he was looking at. It was the picture of the original Order of the Phoenix. Deanna saw some people who resembled her own friends, and she smiled softly when she saw them there.

Aries, Lorraine, Dallas and there was Sirius and Remus and Moody and who she thought to be Harry's parents, James and Lily. There was even her uncle and her father though they weren't side by side. She then followed Neville's line of sight and saw that he was staring at two people who looked just like him. Her heart hurt at the thought that they didn't even know they would be suffering a fate worse than death, that they weren't be able to see their son grow up.

"Fourteen years ago," said Neville softly. "A Death Eater named Bellatrix Lestrange used the Cruciatus Curse on my parents with a few more of them. She tortured them for information, but they never gave in. I'm quite proud to be their son. But I'm not sure I'm ready for all the pitying looks people have been giving me since the news broke out."