lxii. the dumbledores' secrets

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

Despite not knowing where they were going, Deanna could only be glad and grateful that they managed to escape. They went higher and higher, all of them clinging tight to the creature who was enjoying his freedom of flying after being locked in for a long time. Behind her, Harry was silent, Ron was swearing endlessly while Hermione was sobbing. She could understand them. It was a crazy experience after all.

"We did really well." Deanna said to them in an encouraging tone. "We're close to the end so let's just hold on a little."

Thankfully, Ron and Hermione stopped after that and smiled along with Harry. That was right. They already had 4 Horcruxes. Though they didn't have a way to destroy them anymore, they were trying to be optimistic and think that they would be able to finish this mission soon.

Tons of questions and thoughts were also running through Deanna's mind. When Voldemort found out about what happened, he would know they were looking for Horcruxes. And the goblins too... They would get tortured or killed for what happened. That meant this entire journey would get a lot harder once he knew.

"We're dropping!" Ron yelled when the dragon started diving down a little. Deanna felt bad for him since he was all locked up then. She hoped that the dragon would finally savor his freedom and reunite with his friends. The sun slipped lower in the sky that was turning indigo.

"I say we jump!" Harry shouted out when the dragon flew lower and lower and closer to one of the lakes.

"When?" Hermione asked loudly while the dragon was now closer to the surface of the lake.

"Now!"

At Harry's shout, the group jumped off the dragon and plummeted into the freezing lake. Deanna quickly kicked off to the surface and emerged, panting and looking around for her friends. The dragon did not seem to notice anything, already 50 feet away from them. They immediately swam towards the opposite shore, shivering from the cold lake, and after struggling through the reeds and mud, they finally flopped onto slippery grass, sodden and exhausted.

All of them coughed and shuddered once they got there. Ron and Hermione collapsed onto the floor while Harry stood up and started casting the usual protective spells around them. Deanna who was lying down on the ground brought her wand out to help him from where she was. When they were all done, Harry joined them on the floor, feeling just as exhausted as them.

"Love? Come here." Hermione called out to Deanna who noticed Hermione's singed clothes and that the burns on her face and arms were slowly disappearing from the Essence of Dittany. Deanna now became aware as well of her many injuries and went near Hermione who dabbed the essence of dittany on her wounds.