xviii. the flight of the dumbledores

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember," said Harry, teaching them the Patronus charm. "Allow it to fill you up."

Deanna was anticipating this lesson the most. After seeing her father's phoenix Patronus, she too wanted to learn how to cast one, and thankfully, they had Harry here to teach them. Harry reminded them that casting a Patronus was different when being confronted by a dementor.

"Oh, don't be such a killjoy," said Cho brightly, watching her silvery swan-shaped Patronus. "They're so pretty!"

"They're not supposed to be pretty, they're supposed to protect you," said Harry patiently, staring at Noah, who was determinedly not looking at him. "What we really need is a boggart or something; that's how I learned, I had to conjure a Patronus while the boggart was pretending to be a dementor —"

After watching Ron's Jack Russell Terrier run circles around Eleanor's St. Bernard, Deanna closed her eyes and thought of a memory, the first time she saw Fawkes. She smiled slightly and waved her wand. "Expecto Patronum!" She opened them and frowned when there were only wisps of smoke from her wand tip.

"What memory did you think of, Dee?" said Harry.

"The first time I saw Fawkes."

"You have to think of something stronger than that, something happier," said Harry and he pat her on the shoulder. "You'll get it, Deanna."

"Thank you, Harry," said Deanna, and she looked at Hermione, whose silver otter was gamboling around her.

"They are sort of nice, aren't they?" Hermione said, looking at it fondly.

Staring at Hermione, Deanna thought of that time in front of the Shrieking Shack and remembered how happy she felt then. It was just like- no, she was the happiest in her life at that moment. The memory of Hermione Granger smiling up at her was one that Deanna knew had a huge place in her heart.

"Expecto Patronum!" A large silver phoenix rose from Deanna's wand, and everyone stopped and watched it with awe. The silver phoenix flew around the room before flying down to Hermione's silver otter and nuzzling it affectionately.

"Looks like my phoenix likes your otter, Hermione," chuckled Deanna, making her way over to the Gryffindor while the other students went back to casting their Patronuses.

"My otter likes your phoenix too," said Hermione. She smirked when Deanna's cheeks flushed and the girl was stuttering.

"W-Well, we do make a good pair, don't we?" said Deanna, smiling widely at the girl, and Hermione smiled back despite the speeding up of her heart and the nerves she felt. They just stood there, smiling at each other when the door of the Room of Requirement opened and then closed again. Deanna and Hermione walked over to where Harry was. Dobby was tugging at the bottom of his robes.