xiv. tears of fawkes

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"Deanna." Dumbledore whispered as his daughter went limp, tears coming into his eyes once more. He stood there, a few inches from Deanna, frozen. He didn't know what to do. Seeing the sheets of white stained with red made his mind blank. The unmoving body of his daughter as blood seeped from the cuts on her body made Dumbledore's tears stream down his face yet he still remained where he was.

Fawkes looked at him curiously before letting out a cry. With that, Dumbledore snapped back to his senses and took the girl into his arms, running down the steps, where the portraits had gasped and looked at the girl worriedly. The door suddenly opened to reveal Harry, Ron, Hermione and Minerva whose eyes widened at the sight of the bloody Deanna.

"A-Albus, what-"

"Not now, Minerva," said Dumbledore, wiping away his tears and smearing some of Deanna's blood onto his cheeks. He turned to Hermione. "Miss Granger, please go call Madame Pomfrey and Professor Snape." Hermione nodded and with one last worried look at Deanna ran out of the room.

"Professor Dumbledore. Potter had a nightmare," said Minerva. "He says..."

"It wasn't a nightmare," said Harry quickly. "I was asleep in the Common Room, but it was real. I saw it happen. Mr. Weasley was attacked."

Ron's eyes widened as he looked from Harry to Dumbledore. "Dad? What about Dad?"

"I know. We'll explain, Mr. Weasley, now please sit down," said Dumbledore as he set Deanna down on one of the couches. "Minerva, please do take care of her." Minerva nodded once and started applying pressure on Deanna's wounds and chanting some spells she knew.

"Everard. Dilys!" said Dumbledore sharply. The two portraits immediately nodded though still glancing at Deanna.

"You were listening?" said Dumbledore.

The wizard nodded, the witch said, "Naturally."

"The man has red hair and glasses," said Dumbledore. "Everard, you will need to raise the alarm, make sure he is found by the right people —" The two then nodded and left their portraits. Then, Dumbledore walked around them and to Fawkes, who flew down to Deanna. He was crying onto Deanna's body, but the cuts wouldn't heal no matter how many tears of his had dropped on them unlike how Minerva was healing some of the cuts.

Dumbledore's expression turned graver, but he bent down and stroked the phoenix. "We will need a warning." The phoenix cried and nuzzled Deanna's hand before he burst into flames and Fawkes was gone. The door then opened at that moment to reveal the panting trio of Hermione, Madame Pomfrey and Snape.