xl. splitting the soul

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

Deanna nudged Harry. "Come on, I think Pops is back."

"Really?" Harry said in surprise. "How did you know?"

"Just a feeling." Deanna shrugged, tugging on his hand and leading him through the shortcuts and to Dumbledore's office. "Maybe, Felix has been affecting me too." Harry just chuckled and followed her to the gargoyle.

"You've been sneaking out a lot lately, Miss." The gargoyle said before moving aside for them.

"Sorry, dear Sir." Deanna smiled apologetically. "Come on, Harry." They went up the staircase and Deanna knocked.

"Enter." Dumbledore's exhausted voice rang out.

Deanna pushed the door open with a look of worry. "Pops, are you all right?"

"Good gracious, Deanna, Harry," said Dumbledore in surprise. "To what do I owe this very late pleasure?" He turned to Deanna with a raised eyebrow. "And why are you out of bed?"

"That's not the problem." Deanna too raised an eyebrow inquisitively. "Are you all right?"

"Yes, dear." Dumbledore sighed in exasperation. "And why are you out of bed?"

"Oh right." Deanna pulled out the bottle from her pocket and showed it to Dumbledore. "Harry and I got it. The memory from Professor Slughorn."

Dumbledore looked stunned for a moment before his face broke into a wide smile. "Deanna, Harry, this is spectacular news! Very well done indeed! I knew you could do it!"

Dumbledore took the bottle from Deanna with his uninjured hand and moved to the cabinet where he kept the Pensieve. "And now," said Dumbledore, placing the stone basin upon his desk and emptying the contents of the bottle into it. "Now, at last, we shall see. Love, Harry, quickly..."

Deanna bowed down and felt herself flying up, she fell through the darkness and arrived at Slughorn's office where there were six boys sitting around the old professor.

Tom Riddle suddenly asked, "Sir, is it true that Professor Merrythought is retiring?"

"Tom, Tom, if I knew I couldn't tell you," said Slughorn, wagging his finger at Tom with a wink. "I must say, I'd like to know where you get your information, boy, more knowledgeable than half the staff, you are."

Just as she did before, Deanna rolled her eyes at the boys who laughed and cast admiring looks at the smiling Riddle.

"What with your uncanny ability to know things you shouldn't, and your careful flattery of the people who matter — thank you for the pineapple, by the way, you're quite right, it is my favorite —"