xlii. cave of curses

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

June 30.

Lying down on the couch, Deanna patted Fawkes' head mindlessly while reading the newspapers in the past few weeks. She was just waiting for her father who was absent for the past week. It didn't help too that there were more unfortunate events happening. Three dementor attacks in a week... She just hoped her father was all right, wherever he was.

"Fawkesy... He's all right. Right?"

Fawkes just let out a cry, but despite not knowing what he meant, Deanna took it as his reassurance that Dumbledore was fine.

"Oh, don't worry about him, Deanna." Armando Dippet's portrait said. "You know your father, he's busy as always. But he can always hold up on his own."

"I know, Professor." Deanna let out a sigh and sat upright. "I'm his daughter. You can't help me from worrying..."

She just couldn't help it. Somehow, she had a bad feeling about today. Like something bad was going to happen, like she should do something to prevent it from happening, but she had no idea what was going to happen or how it was going to happen.

The portraits just exchanged glances at that. Of course, all of them knew everything that was spoken of in that office, but even if Deanna Dumbledore deserved to know, they did not have the right to tell her about it.

Suddenly, the door opened revealing Albus Dumbledore himself with a long black traveling cloak around him. He smiled at Deanna. "Hello, little phoenix."

"Pops!" Deanna jumped up from the couch with a huge smile on her face, hugging the old man tight. "Where have you been?"

Dumbledore chuckled and stroked his daughter's hair. "I'm sorry I've been gone for the past week, love. But I've promised you could come with me, right?"

Deanna's eyes widened in realization and she jumped up and down in excitement. "You found a Horcrux?"

"Yes, Deanna." Dumbledore laughed softly. "I'd like you to come with me... If you'd like to?"

"Of course, Pops!" Deanna answered enthusiastically. "Where? Which one?"

"I am not sure which it is — though I think we can rule out the snake — but I believe it to be hidden in a cave on the coast many miles from here, a cave I have been trying to locate for a very long time: the cave in which Tom Riddle once terrorized two children from his orphanage on their annual trip; you remember?"