Chapter Thirty-Eight

It wasn't that I didn't want to see Harry. I was just hoping I could wait until five years from now, and that there were one hundred yards between us when I did. Oh who am I kidding, I'm still in love with the boy, and that was obvious by the ever so subtle line of sweat accumulating on my brow, my rapid heartbeat, and my shaking fingers.

        "Um hi, Harry" I said nervously, tucking some light brown hair behind my ear. 

        I slowly looked up from his dirty old blue sneakers, to his striped shirt that hung a little loose on him and finally I looked him in the eye. I almost wish I hadn't though. An unmistakable look of disappointment and anger was strewn across his features. His fists clenched at his sides and his nostrils flared, all signs that I knew showed me how angry he was. I could always tell, after three years of friendship -- I could always tell. I just never imagined this amount of anger would be directed towards me.

        "What are you playing at?" He sneered, his fingers inching towards his wand. 

        "What do you mean?" I whispered. Harry scoffed, shaking his head. 

        "You've been gone for months. The Dark Lord took you away, took you to join his forces and nobody heard from you again" His voice was raising with every word. "Everybody has been worried sick about you! How can you just stroll onto the train back to school and act like nothing happened?!" He was screaming at me, and with every syllable my tough facade crumbled.

        "And now you're buddies with Malfoy of all people? I'm disgusted right now" He growled, taking fluid steps until he stood in front of me. 

        "Harry, please--"

        "Show me!" He demanded "Show me what made you betray everyone!" He reached forward and grabbed my left arm that was covered in a dark blue cardigan, and I let him. He quickly rolled my sleeve up to see nothing but skin. My concealing charm worked perfectly in covering up the mark I hated so much. 

        "I didn't do what you're accusing me of, Harry" I growled, ripping my hand back from him. He looked at my arm in disbelief, and shook his head. "I don't understand" he said softly, scratching the back of his head. 

        I stepped closer to him. He grew over the summer and now stood with me at eye level. I glared, and he glared right back. "If I was to do what you're accusing me of Harry, it would only be to protect those I love, those that were threatened" My voice rivaled his, I could feel the heat of anger radiating off of him, and this wasn't how I imagined our first meeting going when I returned back to school. 

        I stepped around him, he grabbed my wrist to halt me. I peered to see him still glaring at me over my shoulder but he didn't say anything. "I wouldn't change what I did, for everyone I still care about is still standing" and with that, I stormed past him and off of the train. 

        The cool air hit me like a ton of bricks, but none as bad as the tears that were streaming down my face when my feet hit the concrete. I started walking towards Draco who was playing idly with his wand under a lamp, but Harry appeared once again.

        "So you've changed sides then?" He shouted to me, stopping me in my tracks. 

        "Why do you keep thinking I've changed sides?" I argued back. Even with this mark on my arm, I was still loyal to the right side in this war, the one Harry fought on. The train started to pull away, I was thankful for the noise. My internal argument was starting to give me a headache. 

        "Nobody has seen you and then you show up with him!" he shouted, Draco then took the opportunity to appear at my side. "You don't know what you're talking about Potter" Draco sneered.

        "God you're so stupid Harry! I was taken prisoner, Draco's family rescued me and you stand here blaming me for everything" at this point, the black lake itself could have been coming out of my eyes. I hated crying, especially in front of Harry. But over the years it seems that he has been the cause of majority of the tears flowing out of my eyes. 

        "Voldemort would have killed you, my father, Ron, Hermione. He would have killed everyone that day. He left me no choice but to go with him, and I spent months living in a cell hoping he would keep his word" okay part of that was a lie. I spent most of my time in Draco's room until I eventually got my own.

        Harry's face softened, but hardened once more when Draco grasped my hand and pulled me away. I looked back and saw Harry calling my name, but I sadly let Draco pull me along and up to the castle, leaving the raven haired boy all alone. 

~

        "You'll be okay" Draco whispered as we stood outside the great hall. We missed the entire sorting due to my argument on the train, and it took half an hour to get a carriage and more than that to get through the aurors at the front gate. But I could hear the bustling and excitement of students inside, and the pit in my stomach grew knowing I would have to face all of them.

        "Do you want to sit with me, your brother will be there" Draco asked, I pulled on the ends of my robe and shrugged. 

        "The second my brother sees me walk in he'll probably stupefy me into oblivion" I said with a snort. Draco chuckled and wrapped an arm around my shoulder, steering me inside. "Well I guess we shall find out" he said.

        Majority of the great hall turned silence the moment they saw me walk through the double doors. and then the whispering and mumbles followed. But almost instantaneously I saw two blonde heads running towards me, Damian behind them. 

        "Oh Ali!" Aurora cried out, wrapping her arms around me, Andi soon shoved her out of the way and followed suit. "Where the hell have you been?" Asked Andi when they let me go. Damian looked furious before dragging the four three of us out into the hallway for more privacy.

        "Are you okay?" Andi whispered, reaching over and twirling some of my hair around her fingers. Aurora leaned against the wall beside me while Damian stood with arms crossed and a pissed off look on his face. 

        "I'm fine now" I said meekly. 

        "Well mom's not" Damian growled "Dad's not, I'm freaking not!" he added, stepping closer to me. I had never coward away from my brother before, but then again I had never seen him this way. Never this angry. "Why the hell would you up and go with The Dark Lord?!" 

        "Damian, I didn't have a choice!" I cried out 

        "Dad said he asked you to join his side, and then carted you off with him" Damian had calmed down, but only slightly. 

        "Dad didn't hear the part where Voldemort said he would kill him" My sisters gasped, and my brother frowned even harder if that was possible. "He threatened everyone I loved, said he would kill everyone I loved if I didn't go with him" 

        "Oh Ali bear" Damian said before launching himself at me, and the comfort of my older brother and the familiarity of my family was almost more than I could bare. "I couldn't let him touch you, I couldn't let him kill dad" I whimpered. I felt the twins hands on my back and in my hair, sending comforting tingles up my spine.

        "Does that mean you're a death eater?" Andi whispered, Aurora smacking her across the head. I frowned and shook my head. "No, I'm not. Voldemort kept me prisoner in the dungeons of Malfoy Manner, Draco and his mother helped me escape." 

        It was a lot easier to lie to my family then I thought it would be. But as long as it protected them from the truth in knowing what I was really doing, I would lie to them all day long.