Chapter Twelve

It has been about a month since the first task and the excitement of watching students tackle dragons was still in the air. Snow was falling heavily to ground as it was now December, and I pulled my winter coat around me tighter and shifted  my striped Gryffindor scarf around my neck. I was currently walking to Herbology for my last lesson of the day, and then all of the fourth years in Gryffindor had to meet with Mcgonagall about something in her classroom. It didn't sound too promising.

After a seemingly boring class learning about the plants that lived in the black lake, Hermione and I made our way to Mcgonagall. Ron and Harry weren't in this class with us, and had opted to take Double charms on this lesson day instead. It was like a full on blizzard, Hermione and I both struggling to keep our scarfs on as the wind was blowing so hard. By the time we got to the castle we both were dripping wet, our hair in shambles.

Over the past month, it had been pretty normal around here without a task to look forward to. We attended our classes, ate our meals and did our homework. I hung out with the trio like usual, with the occasional outing with my siblings. The one caveat to my days was watching Harry pine over Cho Chang. I could tell from a mile away the girl was interested in Cedric and for some reason, Harry just wasn't seeing it. 

"What do you think this is about?" Hermione asked as we took seats next to each other, along with the rest of the Gryffindor girls of fourth year and above. I sat between Hermione and Angelina Johnson who was a sixth year. I looked and saw Harry and Ron laughing with Neville about something, and when they looked my way I stuck my tongue out at them. Mcgonagall walked in a few seconds after.

"Ok class, this year given the spirit of the tournament we will be hosting a yule ball!" She said in mild excitement. 

The girls all looked excited over the thought of having a dance, while the boys groaned. Filch soon walked in carrying what looked like a giant record player. Mcgonagall waved her wand and soft music sounded from the speaker. 

"Now the yule ball is clearly a dance, and I will not have any of you embarrassing this house. Now Mr.Weasley come help me." She said waving a hand towards Ron. Ron's face deepened in color as he hunched over, slowly making his way to our transfiguration teacher. 

Hermione and I chuckled as Mcgonagall placed Ron's hand on her waist, Ron looked as if he was about to burst from embarrassment. The two of them danced slowly, Ron of course being the klutz he was, stepped on her toes every so often and I could tell she was biting her tongue. 

"Ok boys grab a girl, partner up and practice!" She said, continuing her dance with Ron. None of the boys stepped up at first, and many of them looked around avoiding the subject. I was surprised when Neville was the first one to make his way to the center of the room.

Hermione shrugged and made her way over to Neville, him taking her waist with shaking fingers. Hermione surprisingly was a decent dancer. 

  "Ms.Soloria, please find a partner, you will be dancing in front of the whole school after all." Mcgonagall said as she and Ron danced passed me. 

"W-w-w-what?" I said stumbling over my words. I was not a good dancer, and me dancing in front of the entire school was going to be the most embarrassing moment of my life.

 "You too mister Potter." She added to Harry who was dancing slowly with a disgruntled Lavender Brown. At the new knowledge, he kicked her in the shin — she cursed loudly at Mcgonagalls behest. 

People were pairing up quickly, and the only two people I saw without partners were Fred and George. 

"Wanna dance?" I asked with boredom, not caring with which twin I ended up dancing with. 

"Well don't sound too happy Ali." Fred said chuckling as he dragged me to the dance floor, his twin laughing before grabbing Angelina Johnson to dance with. Fred was about on the level of dancing as I was, both of us stepping over each other toes.

 "Sorry," He mumbled as we both kept our heads down looking to our feet. I silently wished my mother would have invested in dance lessons for me. I was elegant on a broomstick, not so much on a dance floor. 

After two hours of dancing, and many swollen toes later we were all sitting at dinner stuffing our faces. "Do you think anyone will ask you to the ball?" Hermione asked in between bites of her roast pork.

 I shrugged and pushed around some rice on my plate, I didnt have too much of an appetite. "A certain boy who lived?" She asked quietly nodding to Harry who was laughing at a joke Seamus told. My cheeks started to burn, knowing good and well I was definitely hoping Harry would ask me.

"He doesnt like me like that Mione," I whispered, letting a disappointed look fall across my face. "And now I have to have a date, or I'll be forced to dance with Snape or something." I said shivering at the thought of dancing with our potions master.

 Hermione giggled and patted my hand before finishing her dinner. "We only have two weeks, hopefully we get asked." Hermione said pushing her plate aside and pulling out a book. I could only hope she was right about that one. 

~

Those two weeks flew by. And just as I figured not a soul had asked me to the ball. Hermione had gotten asked by Viktor Krum, and we weren't telling the guys, she wanted it to be a surprise. I was happy for her, Viktor was very handsome, and was always polite during our encounters. 

The ball was in two days and the only thing I had was a dress my mother had sent me. It was emerald green with a halter top, a long slip went up the left side showing off my long legs and diamonds went along the cleavage area. It was really beautiful actually, not something I would normally wear, but one night would do. Andi and Aurora went to Hogsmeade to find one, I had other things occupying my mind, so thank god my mother knew my dress size. 

I was going to end up alone, dancing with the greasy haired Snape, while my friends laughed something awful at me. I sighed and flipped through my DADA book in the library, resting my head against my hand. I finished my homework hours ago, nowIi was just sulking.

 "Hey there." Someone said softly in my ear, causing my to shriek and jump making my book fall to the ground. It was Draco, who was now laughing loudly and picking up my book that fell. 

"Don't do that." I chuckled, clutching my robes to my chest. 

"Sorry, didn't mean to startle you." He said quietly, taking the seat on the opposite side of the table. "What are you doing?" He asked.

 I shrugged and shoved my book into my bag. "Sulking." I said poking my bottom lip out.

 "Pretty girl like you shouldn't pout." He said reaching over and flicking my lip with the tip of his finger. I blushed and looked down at my hands. "You don't have a date do you?" He asked with a raised eyebrow. I shook my head, and bit on my thumbnail out of habit, Draco just reached over and swatted my hand down. 

"Go with me." He said, more of a demand rather than an actual question. I raised my eyebrow with a look of 'Really?'  Draco was my best friends sworn enemy, and he would kill me if I went with him, but maybe that would earn me the attention I had been wanting from the raven haired boy. 

"Ok." I smiled. Draco was grinning from ear to ear

 "It'll be fun," he said leaning back into his chair. It would be bad to use Draco, who really was a friend of mine, to earn attention from someone else, but I didn't really care right now. 

"I'm wearing green." I said giving him a quick wink, grabbing my stuff and leaving the library.