Chapter Forty-Two

Harry hadn't yet seen me enter the Common Room, he sat stoically looking into the already roaring fire. He looked pensive and less angry than our previous encounter which I was grateful for. It had been a long day and I really wasn't in the mood to be yelled at. 

"Sorry I'm late." I mumbled walking slowly over to the large red couch that currently housed my former best friend. Harry looked over and a slight smile crossed his face as I took a seat as far from him as I could. "Dumbledore needed to see me."

"That's okay." Harry nodded, his green eyes flickering between me and the orange flame. 

We were silent for what felt like forever before Harry finally turned his body towards me, his arm resting against the back of the couch. "Tell me what happened." He whispered so softly, I barely heard him over the crackling of the flames. I sighed and twiddled with my fingers hoping Harry couldn't see through the many lies that were about to flow out of my mouth. 

"I told you what happened, Harry." 

"No, tell me. I'm really listening this time." 

"He threatened you, he threatened all of you including my family. He said if I didn't join him than he would kill everyone I love." I told him. Harry looked like he was understanding what I was saying instead of jumping down my throat like before. "You were there when I said yes. He took me somewhere that I now know as Malfoy Manner. I was in the dungeon for months without ever even seeing Voldemort again. It was maybe a month ago that my cellar door popped open and Draco was standing there with his Mother, they saved me. I still don't know what the dark lord has planned for me Harry, but I didn't do what you all are accusing me of." 

I never was good at lying, but I guess being a death eater has made me keen on the art of a lie. Harry doesn't need to know that I took the dark mark to save everyones lives. That I was currently working with his enemy to try and kill one of the closest people in Harry's life. That I was working as a double agent that was something that could potentially get me killed in the end. Oh and that I was in love with both Harry and Draco. Yeah he definitely didn't need to know that part. 

Harry reached over and grabbed my left arm, slowly lifting the sleeves of my robes until he could see bare skin. There was definitely a dark mark there, it was just currently being sealed by a protective enchantment. He rubbed his thumb over the bare skin, an action that had goosebumps immediately rising on my skin. " Theres nothing there." Harry mumbled, he mumbled it more to himself than anything. 

"I told you, Harry." 

Harry looked up and let my arm fall down between us before scooting closer to me on the couch. "I know what that's like, to have him threaten the people you care about." Harry told me, running a hand through his long black hair. "Ali, I'm so sorry about the things I said to you." He whispered.

I reached over and grabbed his hand in mine. "If it's any consolation I would have thought I was a death eater too." I said with a nervous chuckle. 

"That's no excuse though. You've been with me through so much, you have saved my life many times and here I am accusing you of something so awful." Harry shook his head and took his hand from mine before standing and leaning his head against the mantle of the fireplace. 

I rested my hand against the small of his back as I stood behind him, and after several moments i let both of my hands slide their way up to his shoulders. "It's okay, Harry." I whispered. "It's not." he said after several moments. 

I rested my forehead against the back of his head, his black hair tickling my sensitive skin. I hadn't realized how much Harry grew, he was slightly taller than I was at this point. "You're killing me, Ali." Harry mumbled. I frowned and pulled away from him, taking a step away as I had no clue what he meant. 

Harry turned around, yet his line of sight remained on his worn grey sneakers. "Theres been so much going on, and I've been trying so hard to just put what I'm feeling to the back of my mind. But it gets harder and harder every year." He said softly, his eyes slowly lifting to meet mine. 

"You're one of the most important people in my life, Ali." He whispered, taking a step towards me before running a finger down my cheek. I closed my eyes before I once again felt Harry's touch as he was now cupping my cheek in his hand. "I've fallen so hard for you. I fell hard so long ago, and I've been a pansy not telling you." 

My eyes fluttered open at his words, and I'm sure they were as wide as saucers. I tried opening my mouth several times to speak, but no words would come out, I was completely silent. "I'm in love with you." Said Harry. Five words I had been dying to hear from him for so long, and all of this felt like a dream. 

"Harry, I --" I began, but Harry's lips cut me off. It was like deja vu of this morning in the hallway, deja vu in the best way. His hands cupped my cheeks, while mine gently rested on his waist. It wasn't long before our kiss grew heated and the two of us lying on the common room couch, the fire that was burning now not the only thing in the room growing hot. 

It felt like hours when Harry finally pulled away from me and rested his forehead against my own. The pair of us were breathing heavily and all I could do was stare into his equally bright green eyes. "I do love you, I'll probably always love you. But this doesn't change anything." Harry said in a saddened tone. I frowned and gently pushed him off of me.

"What?" I whispered, still breathless from our kiss. 

"I can't risk anything. Voldemort is after the pair of us, and I'm not going to risk your life by getting involved with you." 

I wanted to slap this kid. I wanted to slap him, shatter his glasses and then toss him off the astronomy that was how infuriating he was. "Voldemort will find us regardless, Harry." I said trying to sit closer to him on the couch, he only pushed me away.

"No. I'm not doing this. I'd do anything to keep you safe, including staying away from you. I'm not risking this, there can't be anything between us until Voldemort is dead. Not even just as friends." Harry said. He wouldn't even look at me, he just kept his eyes once more to the dying flame. The flame that was once roaring at the beginning of our conversation was now dying just like our friendship. 

"You're an idiot, and a coward. Don't come crawling to me when you change your mind again in five days Harry. If you want nothing to do with me then leave me alone, don't string me along for another three years." I growled at him before turning around to leave the Common Room. I heard him calling for me before the portrait shut, but I only quickened my pace down the grand staircase. 

I know it had to be late, past midnight late and somehow I managed to get all the way down to the dungeons without a single prefect finding me out. I slipped off my Gryffindor robes and tossed them behind a suit of armor before saying the password to the Slytherin common room and slipping quietly inside. 

Nobody was in the common room except a third year who was asleep at the desk in the corner. So I had no issues running up the stairs and into Draco's room without problems. Blaise was snoring across the room in his own bed, and Draco was surprisingly awake, sitting up in his bed reading a book. 

"Ali? I figured you were staying in your room tonight." Draco said once he saw me. He frowned and set his book aside once he saw the tears that were rolling down my cheeks, and he quickly hopped out of bed. 

"I'll kill Potter." he growled wiping the tears that were steadily flowing with the pads of his thumbs. I sighed and rested my hands against Draco's cold bare chest. "No. I need something else from you." I whispered, looking up into his hard grey eyes. 

"Anything." He said softly, giving me the tiniest of smiles.

I didn't say anything else, the only thing I did was crash my lips onto his. Draco didn't fight it, and was more than willing to give me everything I needed just like I knew he would....

A/n Alright I know I just screwed up the minds of all my little shippers with this chapter. ;-) muahahaha I'm such an evil author.