Chapter Fifty-Three

I winced as my eyes came in contact with a bright light that made me feel like I was being run over by the Hogwarts Express. My head ached, a pounding resided itself into my brain that was so loud I could hear it in my ears. The rest of my body tingled with pulsating electricity and I hadn't a clue as to what the hell was happening with me.

After blinking several times I could finally see I was in the Hospital Wing at Hogwarts. White sheets were meticulously covering my lower body, and I was wearing a matching gown. A small vase of what looked like haphazardly picked flowers sat beside my wand on the nightstand. And beside it, a small pile of sweets from Honeydukes. Jesus, how long have I been here?

I moaned and gripped my head as my headache got worse. "Ah, she's back." I heard to my right, and peered over to see Professor Dumbledore walking in through the open doors.

"What happened?" I asked. Dumbledore smiled before coming closer and sitting at the foot of my bed.

"What do you remember?" He asked. I closed my eyes and tried to remember as much as I could.  Finally the image of Draco laying bloodied on the bathroom floor came to mind.

"Draco? Is he okay?" I asked quickly, looking around the room for my best friend. I was fortunately the only patient in the wing.

Dumbledore patted my leg gently before responding. "Mr.Malfoy is doing splendidly. I believe he left this for you," He said, motioning to a small piece of jewelry I hadn't noticed sitting on the nightstand. 

I grabbed it, and frowned seeing it was the bracelet he gave to me when we were together, only now fully put together and missing a few pieces.  I slipped it onto my wrist before turning back to Dumbledore.

"I believe you have quite a few questions, and I wish I had the answers for you." 

"You don't know what happened to me either then?" I asked with a frown.

"I know that you are more powerful than we had ever anticipated. So much so that you were able to heal Mr. Malfoy's fatal wounds caused by a dark curse. I've never seen anything like it before. All part of your heritage I suppose. Madam Pomfrey's best guess is you poured too much of your own magic into helping your friend, and passed out in exhaustion. Other than falling into a deep sleep, your own body is perfectly fine." 

I lifted my hand and made Dumbledore's hat raise slowly before resting itself back onto his grey hair. He smiled gently before patting me gently on the hand. "You should get back to your common room. I'm sure Mr.Potter will be glad to see you're awake." 

I frowned realizing that I woke up completely alone, none of my friends were here, Harry wasn't here. My brother wasn't even here to greet me. I didn't think it was something that would bother me, yet somehow it did. Dumbledore seemed to read my thoughts and patted my hand once more. 

"Mr.Potter had to be forced to go to class a couple hours ago. He refused to leave this past week."

"Week? I've been asleep for an entire week?" I practically yelled at my headmaster. His smile lessened before nodding his head. 

"Don't worry, you haven't missed that much. Your professors will extend all your homework until the end of the month, I believe Mr.Weasley and Ms.Brown have gone their separate ways, after a peculiar incident with a love potion. Mr.Malfoy and Mr.Potter had seemed to silently agreed to put their incident behind them, for the sake of you. As both of them haven't wanted to leave this room much to your brothers dismay. Whom by the way seems to be dating Ms. Lovegood. An interesting match if I do say so myself." 

I couldn't help the loud chuckle that resided in my throat. My hundred something year old headmaster was sitting here thoroughly enjoying giving me updates on all the juicy gossips in my life. This man was too much. My eyes watered realizing my time with him was coming town end.

"Don't cry my dear. I know what you're thinking. But I've lived a good life, I assure you. And the end of this life isn't the end of my adventure. Death is not the end of Albus Dumbledore." 

"You're too optimistic. Has anyone ever told you that?" I asked, wiping away the stray tear that rolled its way down my cheek. Dumbledore said nothing, just winked in response.

"Madam Pomfrey washed your uniform, and has it in her office. I'll let you get changed. I don't recommend wandering the courtyards, the weather looks particularly dreary this evening." 

I nodded my head and watched as Dumbledore started to exit the hospital wing. He turned around at the last second and linked his hands in front of him. 

 "Remember my dear, it is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." He said before exiting the wing. Little did I know, those were some of the last words that would be spoken to me by Albus Dumbledore. 

~

I knew Harry and the rest of my Gryffindor friends should have been my first stop after getting out of the hospital wing. But I was honestly still a little angry at Harry for attacking Draco, and my brother was my brother after all. My family would have to come first. 

The Slytherin password hadn't changed in the week I was out, and the common room was rather empty for this time in the afternoon. The hour before dinner where most people liked to change out of their uniforms and relax. The weather outside was rough looking as Dumbledore had told me, so I knew too many people weren't going to be out in the courtyards of the grounds right now. 

There were only three of what looked like first years in here right now, two were doing homework at desks and one was asleep in an armchair. 

I knocked loudly on Damian's door. I couldn't just rush in like I would Draco's room, I really didn't want to catch my brother doing something that would be burned into my vision forever. He opened the door abruptly, frowning, before seeing me and it changing into a smile.

"Oh, Ali bear."  He said softly before pulling me into a crushing hug. 

"Are you okay?" he asked. I squeezed my brother tightly before pulling apart and kissing him on the cheek. 

"Dumbledore didn't really have any answers other than I can heal people too. It just took a lot out of me. " 

"You scared the shit out of me." He said before stepping out into the hallway and closing his door. His roommates must have been especially rowdy today if he didn't want me to go in there.

"I'm fine, really. I'll just know what to expect next time." 

Damian shook his head. "What are you talking about? There will be no next time." 

He sounded like Dad just then. 

"Damian, these are the only powers I have that actually can help someone. If I need to use them, I will." I argued, crossing my arms across my chest. 

"Ali, you don't know anything about these powers you have! You could have died trying to save Draco!" 

"I could die choking on a grape at dinner!" 

Damian rolled his eyes at me before shaking his head. "You're too stubborn."

"I'm your sister." I mocked. 

"I'm not stubborn." My brother was literally the most stubborn person in my family. He was like the family boulder that wouldn't budge on anything. 

"I love you brother. But I need to go let Draco know I'm not dead." 

"I'm surprised you didn't want to see Potter first." He observed with raised eyebrows. 

"Harry will be there when I get back after dinner. Draco deserves to see I'm alive,I was in the hospital wing because of him after all." 

But Draco wasn't in his room. I spent an hour looking for him, and he was nowhere to be seen. Neither Draco nor Harry were at dinner. And when I got back to the common room, Harry was nowhere to be seen. There was a chill in the air, a distinct feeling of dread rolled down my spine, and when I looked out the window see the dark mark looming in the air.....I knew this was it. This was the night everything was going to change.