Chapter Fifty-One

Christmas came and went, taking with it the last amount of hope that the people I loved might make it through this war unscathed. They took my Mother. My freaking Mother. My beautiful, innocent, caring Mother who had done absolutely nothing to deserve whatever pain they were planning to inflict upon her to get into my head. 

I had been too ignorant, too complacent in thinking Voldemort wouldn't do anything to me to get me to finish this job. His unbreakable vow kept him from killing her, from killing people I loved. But some things are worse than death, and he had many followers to do what he could not. Bellatrix was wild and unpredictable and God only knows what she was doing to my Mother at this very moment. 

"Ali, you should eat something before we leave." Damian said, trying to coerce me into eating a meal for the tenth time this week. It was January second and today we were all leaving the Burrow to head back to Hogwarts, and a part of me was happy. Happy that I could hurry up and get this job done to save my mom. 

"I told you, I'm not hungry." I had been sitting in the Weasley's front room, staring out into the yard for the past couple of hours, even before the sun rose. I don't even know what I was expecting to come out of me glaring at the overgrown grass. Like Bellatrix Lestrange was just going to drop my Mother off unexpectedly in the Weasley's front yard and everything would be well? Who was I kidding, she was probably lying in that same dirty cold cell that they kept me in. And the thought of that alone, made me sick.

A second later someone abruptly yanked my arm, dragging me out into the gardens. A gnome bouncing past me to run towards the shed. "What the hell are you doing?" I growled at my brother who was fuming in front of me. 

"No, what the hell are you doing?! I've given you space since Mom was taken, but you haven't given me or the twins one single explanation as to what that was about!" He shouted, quickly looking around to see if any of our friends or sisters were eavesdropping on our conversation. Although Fred and George probably snuck an extendable ear into my pocket at some point this holiday. 

"She said taking our Mother was insurance for getting a job done, what job is that Ali?" He was now whispering, but his tone was not any less angry. Hell I was angry at myself for even allowing it to get this far. I should have stayed at the castle for Christmas, stayed with Draco to try and figure out this cabinet like I knew he was doing right now. No, I was blissfully ignorant in wanting to have one last good memory before this war eventually killed me. 

Damian could always tell when something was wrong with me, and the look in his eyes told me he was starting to guess what this was all really about. "Just tell me if it's true Ali. You don't need to show me anything with the whole Weasley clan probably staring at us right now. Just tell me it it's true." He said softly, A drastic comparison to his tone just moments ago. 

I slowly nodded my head, looking down at my feet in shame that I had kept a secret this big from  my brother. My best friend in the entire world. 

"Oh, Ali-bear. you've gone and done it now haven't you?" He smirked teasingly, yet still a sense of urgency behind his very dark eyes. "He threatened the family didn't he?" Damian asked, already knowing the answer. 

I once again nodded my head. 

"Well, Shit." was all he could say before Mrs.Weasley was beckoning all of us to the fireplace to use the floo network to the train station.

~

Damian had wandered off on the train to find some of his friends from Slytherin. Hermione had stuffed herself in a crammed compartment full of Ravenclaws once she saw Ron, who was then dragged away by Lavender Brown to start their immediate snogging session. Which left me with Harry, whom I haven't had much of a conversation with since Bellatrix showed up at the burrow. I never even got to give him my Christmas present I had gotten him.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me into an empty compartment silently, before pulling down the shades to the trains corridor. He sat down on the bench still clutching my hand, before pulling me gently into his lap and cradling me as if I was a newborn. His raven hair rested on the top of mine and he kissed the top of my head. 

"I won't ask if you're okay. I know you aren't. Just know I love you and I trust you." He whispered into the top of my head. I closed my eyes as tears quickly started to descend down my cheeks. Harry was such an amazing person, one that I really didn't deserve in my life. 

"You might not love me anymore after I finish what Voldemort wants me to." I said softly, leaning back so I could look Harry in the eye. 

"You can't tell me, can you?" Harry asked sadly.

I shook my head and looked down. "Just know that everything is going to work out the way it's meant to. And trust me, and trust Dumbledore." 

"Dumbledore said to trust you." Harry chuckled,

"Then you should listen to the wise old man." I said with a small smile before pecking him not he lips. He grabbed the back of my head and deepened the kiss for a moment before pulling away. 

"Oh, since you were completely absent on Christmas morning, I can give you you're gift now." Harry said before reaching behind him and pulling out a piece of parchment. I looked at it and it had a picture of what looked like a large arena, and an address written at the bottom. 

"I'm confused," I told him. He smiled and pulled the picture from my hand. 

"The address is in Romania. The picture is of the training grounds at the dragon sanctuary. I spoke with Charlie, Ron's older brother who works there. And they're going to let you come see your dragon from the tournament as soon as you pass your apparition test this year. And whenever you're ready, she'll be yours to keep."

"You got me a freaking dragon?" I practically shouted at him, in complete shock. 

Harry chuckled before responding. " You can keep her at the sanctuary, but she's yours. Charlie said you two had some bond thing during the tournament, and she hasn't been the same since the two of you were parted. Charlie could explain it better than I could. I'm sure having a dragon will come of use to you one day." he said tickling me in the side. 

I remember the way that dragon had felt like a part of me once we made eye contact in that tournament two years ago. And the way it felt flying over the grounds of Hogwarts, was a feeling that will never leave me. I'll never understand these wonderful, terrifying powers of mine, but they did allow me to ride a freaking dragon so at least something good came from them. 

I kissed Harry gently, rubbing my thumb down his cheek for a moment. "Thank you." I whispered. "I'm sure I can find a use for a dragon." I chuckled. 

"I don't doubt it." He smiled.

"And to think, I only got you a t-shirt." I chuckled at my terrible ability at gift giving. His Chudley Cannons shirt was still sitting unwrapped in my trunk.

Harry didn't seem to mind in the slightest, and smiled brightly before pulling me down to meet him in one more kiss.