Chapter Fifty-Six

My barely recognizable reflection stared back at me in the mirror, that hung in the Malfoy foyer. It hung above an old family curio cabinet that housed several magical objects belonging to the dark arts. I had no idea what half of these things did, but I had no doubt that Lucious' ancestors probably did some pretty terrible things to come in possession of them. The objects were dark in both stature and color, misshapen and ugly, curious and cold. And yet none of them were as horrible as the person I had become.

The dungeon in Malfoy manner now housed several new residents thanks to me. An old man and two people I used to call friends were now sitting in the cold two floors below me. The look of betrayal across Dean's face when I snatched him out of Diagon Alley still haunted me. When I led Greyback into Ollivander's wand shop to collect the wand maker, I felt sick to my stomach. But the most surprising thing of all -- was Luna. Her large blue eyes were calm as I took her from her family home, she gave me a single nod of her head as if she understood. Her poor father was my only interference and he was easily overpowered.

I was as horrible as the man who gave me the orders. I was no less the monster than the dark lord himself.

It's been two months since I lost my mother, and her face haunts me every moment of every day. The last image I had of her was branded into my memory with a refusal to leave. I betrayed her. I betrayed everyone. I didn't even deserve to be standing here right now, but here I am...where others are not.

As I glared at the person I hated the most in the mirror, I don't even remember the girl who I used to be. The passionate and lively girl who's only worry was if I had a date to the Yule Ball. A girl who's family wasn't torn to pieces and scattered to the wind. A girl who had so much more to live for.

I had no doubts that Voldemort knew exactly where my entire family was, he was dangling them in front of my face like a children's toy. Killing my mother sent a message, and I knew he wouldn't hesitate to keep knocking the Soloria family off the face of the earth.

Another thing I was certain of, was Voldemort had no idea where Harry was. If he did the boy I love would be lying dead in front of me right now. That was the only positive thing I could ground myself to every day -- was neither Voldemort nor myself knew where he was. And I hoped it stayed that way for as long as it could.

It was well into October, and being that Snape was now Headmaster at Hogwarts there was no issue for myself starting school later than intended. I loved Hogwarts, but I wasn't necessarily looking forward to going back. It wasn't going to be the same with the amount of Death Eaters who ran the school. There were only two people there who knew my true intentions, and although Draco was the best friend I could ever ask for, it still got very lonely.

"Ali," I closed my eyes hearing Draco's soft voice, and turned to see him anxiously standing a few feet away from me. "Are you okay?"

I shrugged, turning on my heel to fully face him. He was dressed in his usual black suit and he had pulled his Hogwarts trunk to lean beside him.

"Are you?" I asked, stepping closer to him. I reached out and gently caressed his pale cold cheek. He closed his eyes and leaned into my touch.

"I wish we could leave. Go anywhere else in the world and forget everything."

I sighed, wishing that was a dream I could make happen. I held my exposed dark mark out for him to see. "He'll find us. Wherever we go, he'll find us."

Draco and I apperated directly into the clocktower courtyard. I could already sense the change in the grounds. It was like Hogwarts was haunted with something other than it's usual ghosts and ghouls, it was a palpable energy that I could feel radiating in the air.