Chapter Ten

"Harry!"   I shouted barreling into his dorm room later that night. My brother and I had just discovered that the first task was dragons, and Harry was my competitor yes.  But also one of my best friends and I would help him in any way that I can. The other fourth year boys groaned when they heard my loud obnoxious voice yell throughout their dorm room. Seamus whistled before barreling his head back into his pillow. 

Harry's bed was the third on the right, and the raven haired boy was dead asleep, his dark hair sticking up in all directions. "Harry!" I whisper-shouted, shoving his shoulder hard to wake him up.

 He mumbled something before opening his eyes and squinting at me, he then grabbed his glasses and slid them over his emerald green eyes. His eyes went wide we he saw me sitting next to him on his bed.  "A-a-Ali?" He stuttered looking at me. I wasn't completely sure if he was even awake yet. 

I nodded frantically. "I know what the first task is!" I told him. Surprisingly, he didn't look like this was new information to him. 

"Me too. Bloody dragons." He mumbled shaking his head. "Hagrid showed me" he added.

 "oh." I said looking away, this might have been something he could have shared with me as well. 

"I looked for you to tell you, but I couldn't find you anywhere. I saw Damian passing on my way in and let him know." 

"Well thanks for that." I mumbled, fiddling with the wand in my hand. 

"Of course. I told you we're in this together." 

"That we are. I'll let you go back to sleep now." I chuckled, before heading back to my own dorm.

~

I got no sleep last night, and there were dark circles forming under my eyes. I ended up catching maybe thirty minutes of sleep in the dimly lit common room before the excitement for the day started. Seamus and Neville were rambling on about how excited they were to watch me kick everyones ass. Hermione was trying to come up with anything to get me to succeed at this task, got to love her for trying. Ron was giving me worried glances across the breakfast table, I'm guessing he was regretting treating me and Harry like lepers for the past month.

I felt like I was about to vomit all over my scrambled eggs when two gingers sat on either side of me. "Hi guys." I mumbled, taking a slow sip of my water.

 "We have a bet going you see," George said.

 "We think that the Yankee will win the first task with flying colors." Fred said finishing for his twin brother.

"The Yankee is about to throw up, and will probably die so I'd save your money." I grunted, feeling like I got punched in the stomach.I took one bite of toast before abandoning all hope of being able to eat, and heading out to the stadium. 

~

The quidditch pitch was jam packed, and it was comforting slightly to see the pitch, something I had spent majority of my time on back home. Harry along with the rest of the champions and myself were in a tent adjacent the the field, and the screams of the various people outside were anything but comforting. Krum was laying down on one of the cots, mumbling things to himself. Fleur was pacing by the opening of the tent saying things to herself in french. And then Cedric, Harry and myself were sitting together on one of the couches that were set up for us. 

"We'll be ok, wont we?" I asked the both of them, my hands sweaty from nerves. Harry and Cedric didn't care and both reached out to take one of mine in theirs as I was sitting in the middle. 

"We will all be fine." Cedric said. 

"Yes, we will." Said Harry, squeezing my hand. 

After what felt like hours of waiting, and many times of me having to keep myself from throwing up, Dumbledore along with Barty Crouch came in to explain the rules to us. We would have to recover an egg from the center of the field, while keeping the dragon from killing us in the process.

 We each had our own special dragon given to us, that we pulled out of a tiny bag. Krum got the Chinese Fireball, Fleur's was the Welsh Green, Cedric pulled out the Swedish Short snout, Harry looked worried when he received the Hungarian Horn tail. And that left me, the dragon I pulled out was the magnificent green dragon I saw the night before. The Peruvian Viperooth was my dragon, and my dragon was the one dragon that's bite was venomous—lucky me.

Cedric was the first to go, and I knew he was doing well by the sounds of the cheering outside of the tent. I could hear the growls of the dragon coming from outside and that was not helping my nerves. He came back about forty five minutes later, his robes singed on the bottom, and soot across his face. He looked triumphant and smiled to me and Harry when he walked by.

Fleur and Krum were the same, and both finished a few hours later, leaving Harry and myself. "You'll be fine, Harry.  You're Harry Potter after all." I said pulling him into a tight hug.He chuckled, hugged me back and walked out of the tent. 

The crowd was screaming like crazy for Harry and I could hear the dragon was going crazy, It's screeches and groans were getting closer, and soon enough what sounded like a tail hitting the tent was all I heard. I heard people shouting for Harry in the crowd, and I was nervous for my friend who was trying to battle a dragon, when in reality him and myself were both not ready for anything of this magnitude.

But Harry was fine, banged up pretty bad but was fine and that was all that mattered. I threw my arms around him the second he walked into the tent before he was rushed off by Madam Pomfrey. 

"Alisanna, you're up!" Dumbledore called out before walking back outside the tent. Madam Pomfrey was tending to one of Harry's wounds, but he managed a comforting smile for me, that made me walk out of the tent with my wand out and my head held high.

Outside in the arena it was covered in rocks, a cave not too far away and a small lake directly in the center. I saw a large golden egg was rested on top of the rock that floated in the lake. It could not have been as easy as walking over to the egg and just grabbing it off of the rock. I realized that after I took a few steps and the large green dragon popped it's angry head up from around a rock.  

It was even more beautiful up close. It's green scales shimmering in the sunlight, Its wings were flapping rapidly, and it let out a cry of angst before stepping even closer to me.

Nothing was coming to mind though about how I was going to defeat this dragon, and I would just burn right here and now, my family watching its youngest member die before their eyes. 

"ALI! WATCH OUT!" I heard my brothers distinctive  voice call out to me. I opened my eyes to see the dragon flying in my direction, it's mouth open and ready to breath fire. I held my wand out in it's direction, but no spells came to mind. All I could think of was 'please don't kill me...please don't burn me'.

And that's when the dragon stopped—It's mouth closed, landing only feet away from me. It bowed its head and layed its body down in front of me. I could hear the gasps of shock coming from the audience, and I know this wasn't a good thing. There was only one spell known to wizards that could control someone actions, and this looked exactly like that. No spells were shot from my wand, no advanced wandless magic came from my end. The dragon submitted itself to me, and I had no idea why. 

i stood shocked as this beautiful creature was staring into my eyes. I hesitantly reached my hand out and gently rubbed it's head, the dragon closed its eyes as I did. 'I need to get the egg' I thought to myself .

 And sure enough the dragon flew back to the water and retrieved the egg in its mouth, dropping it directly at my feet. I couldn't help but gasp myself at the scene before me. I bent down and picked the egg up in my hands signaling I had finished the challenge, the crowd went wild—I saw my brother hugging my family along with random people who sat around them. But the row of teachers were looking at me shocked, and I couldn't blame them.

I was planning to turn around and go back to the tent but my dragon had other ideas, it bent down grabbed my robe gently with its teeth and tossed me onto his back. I straddled it's back and gently ran my fingers down its neck. The scales were soft,not hard like I expected, and the dragon groaned in response to my touch. I fit perfectly on the dragon's back, as I realized it was maybe only fifteen feet long at most. 

The dragon flew into the air, but not before breaking the chains that held it to the ground. We flew high above the crowds, high into the sky with the wind blowing through my hair, and I enjoyed this moment because I knew there would be hell to pay the second this beautiful dragon landed its feet back at school.