Chapter Sixty

My knees buckled beneath me, the second my feet touched the unbalanced dirt covered ground.    I wretched loudly as the effect of the apparition wore away, my stomach a bundle of nerves I never was able to control. The ground was cold as my fingers dug into the small pile of snow in front of me, and I could see my breath misting out into the dark air.

Once I got my bearings however — I almost wish I hadn't. I was suddenly overcome with the overwhelming desire to be back in that pub, where I could have got us out of there minutes before the snatchers arrived, and that bright green flash followed us only milliseconds before we disappeared.

"Dad?" I whimpered, already knowing he was gone.

His limp body laid haphazardly in the dirt, his already muddied jacket covered in much more. And his normal cheerful brown eyes stared out into the dark abyss that was the night. I waddled over to him like a newborn calf and fell onto the ground, clutching onto his chest as if it were a lifeline.

Ron stood warily not far away, his blue eyes solemn and regretful.

"Daddy, please don't leave me." I sobbed out, my eyes blurring with unshed tears that quickly made their way down my dirtied cheeks. I hovered my shaking palms above his body and tried desperately to heal him, to bring him back to me.

I tried everything I could to pour every bit of magic I had into him, but nothing worked. He was dead, and it wasn't something I could easily accept. "Why isn't it working?" I mumbled to myself.

"Ali, he's gone." Ron whispered, his hand resting on my shoulder. I jerked away from him, falling back onto my fathers chest.

My mother dying felt like the end of the world. My father dying made me want to burn it down.

"I can't leave him like this." A whimper passed my lips as I hesitantly closed my fathers eyes. Not before taking one last into the eyes I knew better than anyones. My father was my rock, my biggest supporter and protector, and I let him die.

I shouted angrily into the sky, several birds crowing and making their way out of the trees above.  I screamed again, digging my fingers into my scalp and falling backwards into Ron's legs. He was quick in wrapping an arm around me — holding me steady.

I cried into Ron's arms for what felt like hours. The sky began to turn a deep shade of violet with hints of pink. A sunrise I would have normally loved on better circumstances, I could take no joy in it's beauty now.

"Ali, we really need to get moving." Ron mumbled, sleepily. "I know it's hard, I can't even imagine. But we can't let his death be in vain, we can't get captured and used against Harry."

I knew he was right. I also knew that I was in fucking pain, and I wanted the pain to go away.  That small amount of time I had lingered between life and death after cutting off my dark mark, was the most peace I had ever felt in my life. A thought that lingered too long in my fragile psyche.

"We need to bury him. I won't leave him like this."

"Of course. Need me to conjure a shovel?" Ron asked, twiddling with the wand between his fingertips. I rolled my eyes at his ignorance.

"I'm Alisanna Soloria. I don't need a fucking shovel." With a raise of my hands I blasted a hole into ground— deep enough to bury both my father and childhood inside.

~

I had no idea where Ron was guiding us, but for some strange reason he seemed to know where he was going. With every step he grew more confident than the last, and I let him guide us, not caring if he led me off a cliff at this point.

"It's getting dark, we should probably make camp soon." I called out to him. It was getting significantly colder as well, I could hear the crackling of my teeth chattering.

I had fallen behind, but I could make out Ron's bulky frame standing at the top of a hill. "Ali, get up here!" he called over his shoulder. I cursed before sprinting through the snow in his direction, practically tripping over my own feet.

"What is it?" I asked, before following his sight. Gasping, seeing a doe patronus similar to mine, prancing around a frozen pond.

"Think it could be Harry?" He asked.

"Harry's is a stag. I don't know anyone else with a doe patronus besides me, and I didn't cast that. I couldn't cast a patronus now if I tried." 

The pair of us made our way closer to the frozen lake, the doe still prancing around what we could now see as a hole in the ice. I wasn't sure what overcame me, but an overwhelming need to see what was inside took over my body . I held a hand out, shattering the ice — watching as it broke into dozens of tiny pieces.

Ron seemed to be overcome with something much the same, because only a moment passed and he was thrusting his arm into the icy water, and pulled out the shivering frame of my boyfriend not a second later.

"Oh my god, Harry!" I exclaimed, taking off my jacket and flinging it around his freezing body.

"Ali?" He squinted, not quite seeing me without his glasses. They were soon handed to him by Ron who found them lying on a rock beside the pond.

"How many other American girlfriends you got?" I joked, placing my hands against his cheeks. He leaned into my touch before his lips came crashing onto mine. His lips were freezing, and yet the most welcoming thing I have experienced in months. Water dripped from the ends of his hair onto my face, and yet I wanted nothing more than to feel his comforting body against mine.

"How are you here right now?" He whispered, leaning his forehead against mine. I saw Ron out of the corner of my eye build a fire, and I led the pair of us to sit in front of it on a downed tree.

"There's so much I want to tell you — wish I could tell you." I mumbled, my body practically morphing into his with my inability to unlatch from him. I could tell he didn't mind however. He simultaneously kept me close while slipping into the dry clothes Ron had handed him. 

"I lost my parents." I sniffled, looking down into the fire. Harry turned towards me, and I felt his grip intensify. "I lost my mom this summer, and my dad last night." 

"I was running from snatchers, found the two of them in a pub in Glasgow." Ron piped in. "We were all able to apperate, Scabior's curse was just a tad quicker." 

"I'm so sorry." Harry whispered, placing a kiss on the top of my head. 

"I want them dead." I growled, standing up so abruptly Harry almost fell off the log. "I want all of them dead." 

"No offense, but don't you have the best chance at doing that better than anyone?" Ron asked with a snort.

I shook my head, accepting Harry's outstretched hand as he stood beside me. 

"I'm not invincible, Ron. I can die. I think." I told him. " There's a lot of them, everywhere. And I don't have the ability to kill you-know-who, you both already know that." 

"We do." Said Harry, pulling a locket out of his shirt that had been hanging around his neck. "We know how to kill him. This is where we start." 

Harry  found what they had been looking for, so at least our time apart wasn't completely wasted. At least not on his end. 

"Harry, I need to tell you everything that happened, everything that I did —"

Harry did that thing he always liked to do, and cut off whatever I had been needing to say, with a kiss. One hand gripped the back of my neck while the other gently caressed down my cheek, sending shivers down my entire body. Long forgotten were the words I needed to say, because Harry overtook anything else on my mind. 

"None of that matters." Harry whispered, his breath tickling my lips as we pulled apart. "We will defeat them. Together." 

"Together." I echoed. And I finally in that moment, believed it was possible.