Chapter Thirty-Six

Something rapping against my shoulder woke me from my restless sleep, if that's what you wanted to call it. Living in the Malfoy Manner for the past few weeks has caused me to sleep with one eye open, you never knew if one of the crazed people living here would sneak into your room in the middle of the night. I caught one of the younger ones hovering at the foot of my bed one night, needless to say he no longer comes around me....or has hands. 

"Ali, wake up" I heard Draco's distinguished voice say into my ear. I groaned before rolling onto my back, seeing Draco fully dressed standing beside my bed -- arms crossed. "What's up buttercup?" I asked, sliding my arms behind my head. I finally was given my own room after Draco practically begged his mother to send me to another wing. I think he was tired of sleeping on the couch, and me waking him up by sending flying pillows at his head every morning. He seems less irritable than normal after being able to sleep in his own bed for the past couple weeks.

"Cute" he mumbled, and took a seat on the edge of the bed " You look like a hippogriff" he said motioning to the birds nest atop my head. I shrugged and leaned my body up against the cool black headboard.

"And you look like a ferret" I answered with a raised eyebrow. Draco snorted before punching me in the shoulder. "You're never going to let that go are you?" He asked, running a hand down his face. 

"Never" I said grinning "I shall remember that pleasant memory until the day i die" 

Draco's smile faded and his eyes moved to the mark that still laid against my tan skin. "Today's the day" He said sadly " We get our tasks today" 

I frowned but nodded my head. I had sadly been waiting for this day since I got here, and Draco had pretty much been waiting since birth. We've tried avoiding talking about it throughout our day to day activities, but we both knew it was inevitably coming. Whether we like it or not.

"Is that what you woke me up for?" I asked, stifling a yawn. Draco shook his head. 

"I just wanted to let you know, you aren't alone" he said softly, reaching over and taking my hand. I surprised myself when I let him, and squeezed back. Draco and I weren't like we used to be by any means. He annoyed me, we teased each other, and we were angry with each other more often than not. But we were close, he was my friend and he was there every time I wanted to break down because I missed my family and my friends. After seeing the environment that Draco was raised in, and meeting his father -- I understood why he acted the way he did.

"I know" I said "And neither are you" and that caused a smile to appear on Draco's face.

An hour later and we found ourselves standing together in front of The Dark Lord himself. Draco was shaking like a leaf, he was standing so close I could feel every time he breathed. I sighed and reached over, clasping his hand in mine. His hand was cold and sweaty, but he needed to calm down -- The Dark Lord fed on fear, which is why I showed him none.

"Well here we are" he said as he circled around the room, eyeing us up and down. I pulled a face at him while his back was turned, Draco elbowing me in response. He couldn't understand my blatant disrespect to Voldemort. I really just didn't care, I hated Voldemort and wasn't afraid to show it to him. Voldemort quit trying to punish me when he realized that he couldn't. The only incentive he had was the loop hole in his unbreakable vow. Lucius forgot to add in the part where he wouldn't kill my family, he only promised not to harm them.

"The time has come for my two newest followers to receive their tasks" he stopped circling and stood before us. "My lovely Alisanna" he said, running a cold dead finger down my cheek. I glared before forcing his finger to crack backwards into an inhuman position. He clenched his teeth in an attempt to hide his pain, but I knew better. I knew he was some sort of immortal asshole, but I knew he could still feel pain. 

"Don't touch me" I growled, making him pull his hand away. "Will you stop?" Draco mumbled angrily into my ear. Draco was always worried that when I disobeyed or made of fool of Voldemort, that it would fall back onto him. But he hasn't realized that I would protect him as well, I wouldn't let Draco get hurt because I acted like a defiant little douche pants. That just wouldn't be fair to him...

"Like I was saying" Voldemort grumbled " Are you two ready to accept your tasks?"

"Yes, my Lord" Draco said, bowing his head slightly. I couldn't bring myself to treat Voldemort like he was King Henry the eighth or something, I inwardly gagged every time Draco insisted that I did. 

"Yup" I said after Draco nudged my side several times. Voldemort sighed before taking a step backwards. 

"Alisanna Maria Soloria and Draco Lucious Malfoy, I enforce you with the task of ridding your school of your dear headmaster by the end of term"

My eyes widened, okay I was not expecting that one. I wouldn't do it, I refused to kill an innocent man that had done absolutely nothing wrong. Dumbledore was powerful, wise and one of the best men I had ever known -- no way in hell was I going to kill him. 

"I don't care how you do it, just kill him" he said "He's getting too close, he knows too much" He mumbled, more to himself than anyone else. But I heard him. "Dismissed" he said with a wave of his hand. Draco didn't hesitate before running after his parents, pulling me along behind. 

"Oh Draco" Voldemort called over, making the two of us stop in our tracks. "Remember what's at stake. And Alisanna if you try anything funny, I'll know" he growled, waving his hand once more. Draco once again began dragging me up the staircase. 

When he pulled us into his room, he immediately started his pacing. His hands went to his hair, pulling hard, violently as tears streamed down his face. "I cant, I wont, I cant, I wont." He repeated over and over again. And all I could do was sit on his bed and watch, having my own internal battle in my head. This was a suicide mission, an impossible one that Voldemort took sick pleasure in sending us on. There was no way in hell we could pull this off, he knew that when he assigned this mission. 

"I cant do this" Draco whimpered, falling to his knees. I frowned before sliding down to the ground in front of him, and wrapping my arms around his neck. His arms immediately encased my waist, his tears falling rapidly onto my shoulder. 

"I can't do this, Ali" He whispered. I tried my best to comfort him by stroking the back of his hair, but it was no use, Draco's violent sobs shook his entire body. I feel awful that Draco had to live with this fear for his entire life. And I pictured a six year old Draco hiding in a closet when his father became obsessed with dark magic. It wasn't his fault this was something he was born into, and I made a silent vow to never abandon him -- Even if it cost me even more. 

"We have to Draco, we have to" I whispered back to him. Those being the last words I said to him before he fell asleep in my arms.