Chapter Fifty

"Mom!" Andi and Aurora yelled before jumping off the couch, essentially causing me to plop down loudly onto the carpeted floor. Damian chuckled before pulling me up with ease by my forearm. 

"Mom isn't the same woman she was before, just a warning." Damian said with a sad expression before pulling me over to the entryway where said woman stood. 

Physically my Mother looked terrible. Just as terrible as the last time I saw her on platform 9 3/4.  She looked frail. Like she had lost twenty pounds , her clothes were hanging on her like loose rags. Her hands were openly shaking, so much to the point she had a hard time gripping onto Aurora who hugged her tightly. Her once lively, bouncy, curly blonde hair was now tossed into a messy heap on her head without any sign of attention to it in the last month. 

When my eyes finally met hers I knew. My Mother was broken. She couldn't even manage a lack luster smile to the child she hadn't seen in over a year. It looked like it took every ounce of energy inside of her to apperate to the burrow. 

"Hi Mom," I said softly, stepping out from my spot between my brother and Harry. I expected my Mother to be angry with me, but I never expected the loud crack from her palm across my cheek. To be honest she was so weak I barely felt it. But that didn't mean everyone in the house didn't hear it. 

"Mom, Im sorry I--" My Mother cut me off by swiftly pulling me into her arms. And even after all this time, she felt like home. My eyes welled up with tears from finally seeing my Mother again after all this time. And also because just now I was feeling the sting on my cheek from my mothers slap. 

"Damn it Ali, Damn you. I thought you were dead, Until you sent me that letter I thought my baby was dead." She cried into my ear, her tears hitting my shoulder gently. Why do people keep saying this? Between my Mom and my boyfriend they've both damned me at least a dozen times  now. 

"I'm sorry Mom, up until recently everyone else thought the same." I mumbled into her ear before slowly pulling away from her vice like grip. 

"Are you okay? Have you been hurt?" She asked, looking me over as if checking a small child from scrapes after falling off their bike. And I wasn't about to whip out my dark mark in front of everyone in the Weasley's sitting room. So I told her the only thing I could. "I'm fine Mom. Nobody touched me." 

Another thing I couldn't tell her was how much my powers have manifested in the past couple years. Now while my Mother was a pure blood witch, she rarely used magic where she didn't have to. I think I remember my Father once saying something happened to her when they were in school that scared her terribly. Her knowing how much my own powers scared myself, she would be calling every doctor she could to try and get them to heal me. And with Voldemort controlling almost everything in Britain now, I coulden't risk that. 

Now while I liked to think that Voldemort had no idea where I was and I had some sense of privacy, it wouldn't shock me if he was peeping in some random window watching my every movement. 

"Oh, Jeanette! So good so see you again!" Molly exclaimed wandering out and pulling my mother into one of her bone crushing hugs. Molly always had a sense for timing, and her beginning to ramble on to my mom whilst pulling her into the kitchen, gave me a chance to finally breathe after that intense encounter. 

"Jesus." Damian breathed out before plopping himself into one of the fluffy flowered chairs in the sitting room. "That went about as well as it could have. I'm surprised Mom was even sober to get here in one piece." 

"That could be why she looked so bad, hasn't started drinking yet." Andi scoffed before joining Aurora and the twins on the couch. Leaving Harry and I standing awkwardly off to the side. 

"I need some air." I mumbled before walking out into the yard,I left the door wide open already knowing Harry would follow.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Harry asked wrapping an arm around my waist. I nodded and leaned into his side. "I'm just glad that's over with. Maybe my Mother seeing I'm alive and well will give her a little peace of mind. But I know once we go back to school she'll probably end up doing whatever she's been doing before. And it's not like you know who will just let me go home for the summer. I've still got a job to do." I sighed before plopping down and sitting in the grass, pulling Harry down with me. 

"I don't want to know what he's making you do, I'm sure I'll find out eventually. Just know I trust you, and if theres anything I can do to help you, just say the word and I'll do it." 

I smiled and leaned in and kissed him gently. "You are doing it. Just sit with me. " And he did, for the next two hours until Molly called us inside for dinner. 

~

Dinner was marvelous. I ate so much food I was seriously worried my stomach was explode. Or I would at least have to go up a pants size. Even my Mother ate a plate full of food, much to the surprise of my sisters who said she has really only been drinking her meals lately. My Mother seemed to be in brighter spirits after dinner, but it was hard to not be in a good mood around Molly's joyful family and her wonderful cooking. 

Arthur kept pestering me about my powers during the meal, and to tone down my abilities and keep him sated, I settled for waving my hand and having the table cleared off and the dishes cleaned and put away. It was something that made Molly so happy she said she refused to let me go back to school. 

And thats how it was for the next two days until Christmas Eve. I spent quality time with my Mom and Sisters, Entertained my siblings and the Weasley's with certain magic tricks out of my mothers eyes, and just had the first relaxing few days in what felt like forever. Until it wasn't. 

I was standing out in the yard with Ron and Harry, trying to help them de gnome the garden. Ron was less than entertained when I kept sending gnomes magically flying to latch onto his back when he kept trying to get them out into the field. Harry however was in stitches. 

We had been walking back to the house  when it happened. The three of us cracking up over the amount of gnome bites on Ron's arms, when a large fire ball went flying into the burrow. 

"No." Ron whimpered before sprinting back to his house, Harry and I right on his heels. 

Luckily all the Weasley's, my family, and Tonks and Lupin who were eating dinner with us were okay. Everyone joining each other in the yard to try and extinguish the flames. I had been getting a pretty good hold on it with my powers when two more went flying through the windows. 

Molly and Ginny screamed looking at their home on fire, causing me to try harder to extinguish the flame. However a cackling laugh from behind us caused me to lose concentration. 

"Miss me," Bellatrix screeched before sending a flame circling the entire yard in fire. 

"What the hell are you doing here?!" I shouted, running straight at her. Bellatrix however was quick and moved to latch herself onto my Mother. 

"Let her go!"I shouted, as the entire yard now had wands pointed to the deranged raven haired witch. 

"Boss wants a little insurance. To make sure the job gets done. Say bye to Mummy here!" Bellatrix cackled. And I had just enough time toes the terrified look in my Mother's eyes before Bellatrix and three other death eaters I hadn't seen before evaporated into the air. 

Damian started shooting spells into the sky, with Ron trying to get him to stop. And both sets of twins had to continuously help Molly and Arthur with the fire  before it got out of control. And while I could hear the chaos continuing on around me, the only thing burned into my eyes was the image of my Mother. And if I fail her, That might have been the last time I ever see her again. And that made this mission all the more real....