055 / Read my mind

Wc: 487

"Tell me about your last mission...if you can?" "The one in Paris? That one of known everywhere...the other day? Week? Whatever. Four guys beat all of us up."

"You guys got them right?" "Nah. Didn't see their faces. But they knew how to fight. Everyone is still sore." He takes a spoon full of ice cream.

"It must get boring talking about your job." "It does sometimes. Only when people are friends with you because of it. I hate those types of people."

"How many-" "Everyone. Everyone's been that way. All I have is Eddie-" "And the others right?" "Depends on the day...Eddie's really my only best friend." He sighs tapping the table, his rings clink against the surface.

"I can tell you two get along really well." "He's helped me...a lot." "In what ways?" "I uh...when I was younger, I was afraid of the dark." He takes a breath.

"Deathly afraid I guess. Each time I got into a place that was too dark I would start freaking out...I would cry a lot."

Victor listens closely, eating his ice cream also.

"One day, Eddie finally found a way to calm me down. I would sit in between his legs, he would hold me tightly. Fifty percent of the time I would fall asleep crying as he held me."

He looks up at Victor slowly, admiring the way he listens. "He...well this sounds fucking lame, he still has to do that...when I get in trouble." "Does Reginald do something?"

"Yeah...I get locked into a dark room. It takes almost a week for me to gain my voice back...because I scream. Loudly...the walls." He takes a breath.

"The walls make it where the upstairs part of the house can't hear it...I-I hate it." Victor draws light shapes onto Richie's skinny hand.

"I'm sorry you have to go through that." "But that's kind of shaped me into who I am now...I don't know how I would act if I wasn't who I am...a Hargreaves..." "It must be hard being a Hargreaves."

"Sometimes. I have the others to make it better." "Eddie especially right?" "Read my mind, Vic." He grins. "Look. It's sunny. Let's go to the park or something." Victor points out as the two throw away their trash.

"Where are you going? The park is this way." "I know a short cut." "It seems like it would be twice as long getting there." "More time to talk." He giggles pull the boy down the long alleyway.

"What if we get jumped?" "Who knew a Hargreaves would be afraid of getting jumped?" A sick voice startles Richie, but not Victor. They stand halfway down the alleyway. Richie knows there's no way out.

"C'mon." "Rich...I'm scared." Richie pulls the boy closer to him, that's no help, the three guys start getting closer to him.