Chapter 63

Malcolm's POV

Sean and I met up for the first date since our breakup and reunion on Friday evening. Following his night shift duty, he'd spent most of the day sleeping, speaking to me only to tell me that he was going to be asleep and if I minded that he picked me up in his car in front of my house at 8pm.

I knew why he'd asked this. Before we'd called it quits, I had refused to have him come by my house to pick me up, once I'd found out who he really was. I didn't want there to be the chance of Ella, or Edward, or even my mum, of seeing him around, or worse yet, seeing him with me.

This time, though, I said okay. My family was going to have to find out about Sean and I soon anyway. If they bumped into us next to the house, then so be it.

I wore a dark blue patterned shirt paired with taupe chinos and black sneakers, with a short black coat. I'd also waved my curly hair off, away from my face, with a hint of gel. It had been a while since Sean and I had gone on a "date", and I wanted to look my best for the evening.

Precisely at 8pm, I heard a car stop in front of the house. I opened the door, just in time to see Sean emerge from his BMW. I stood still in front of the door, surprised that he'd switched off the engine of the car and had taken off his sunglasses, and was now making his way towards me, as if he wasn't worried about bumping into anyone from my family anymore. He had nothing to hide, now.

He stopped in front of me, a smile playing on his lips as he put his car keys in his pocket. His hair was lifted into a bun, and his facial hair intricately treated although he hadn't shaved. He wore a white pullover, dark blue jeans and his classic leather jacket, paired with a long black scarf and black Chelsea boots. As always, he looked flawless.

"Hey, you," he told me. His eyes were on me and no one else; he wasn't looking around to see who would see us together today. His arms slid around mine and he pulled me to him, holding me tightly against him. His lips touched mine briefly, before he pulled away to look at me. I pulled him to me again by grabbing his pullover, and crushed his lips to mine.

"Hello," I answered. I stroked his cheek. "Do you want to come in for a drink?"

Sean arched an eyebrow. "Really?" he asked, releasing me.

"There's no one in," I said.

"Okay, booking's at nine," he replied, as I turned and unlocked the door. He followed me inside.

I led the way towards the kitchen and switched on the light. "What would you like?" I asked, turning to Sean. I took off my coat and put it on the dining table haphazardly.

"Whatever you're having, sweetheart," he answered, meeting my eyes. It was only now that I realised how broken his eyes looked.

"Are you okay?" I inquired.

"I'm fine, love," he said to me, offering a brief smile. "Beer or whiskey's fine."

"No, you're not," I said, stopping to look at him. He put his arm around me and squeezed my shoulder.

"I'm okay, my love, trust me." Sean smiled at me sheepishly as he released me. He removed his scarf, and then his leather jacket, and carefully put them around a chair.

I didn't reply, and turned to the counter and opened it, taking out the one bottle of whiskey we had at home. I poured a shot each into two glasses, and handed it to Sean.

"So, no one's home, then?" he asked me, taking a sip.

"No, and even if they were, I'm allowed to have a friend over," I said.