Chapter 17

Chapter 17 - Sean's POV

Surprisingly, I found myself waking up early next morning. I glanced at the alarm clock, feeling disoriented. 5:37am. When had I gone to sleep?

I reached for my phone, feeling confused. What had happened before I'd fallen asleep and how long was I out for?

My phone showed me that it was Tuesday morning, and that I was meant to start my work shift at 12pm. I glared at the brightness of the phone, and switched it into the night mode. Then I switched on my Wi-Fi. An abundance of vibrations and pings sounded as my phone updated itself. I blinked, trying to prioritize. I had a missed call from an unknown number, three new emails, a Facebook message and five new text messages. Two of them were from Malcolm. I clicked on them first.

I let myself out, I hope you don't mind, figured you'd be asleep for a while x.

Okay. So apparently Malcolm had been here. Huh. I opened the second message, sent at midnight.

You still out man?

I switched on the bedside lamp and sat up in bed, trying to recall what had happened. My head hurt, presumably through alcohol use. I looked downwards at my bare chest and saw that I was only wearing underwear. Okay, evidently Malcolm had been here. I looked around me, trying to see if we'd been using drugs. Nothing.

I clicked on the next message. My so-called friend Hayley. Where have you buggered off to? You're not even checking WhatsApp... seriously. I rolled my eyes. Typical. I ignored her, knowing that if I replied she'd keep texting me.

I tapped on the next message. My closest friend, Jeremy. You OK, Sean? You haven't been in touch much lately. I miss you xxx

I answered this one. I'm fine, Jer. I'll explain later while I've gone AWOL, I have some stuff to deal with. Miss you too xxx

I opened the final text message.

Encryption activated. I don't think he'll get through this time. I emailed you the programme I used. Call or message when you want to discuss data.

The sender was John Abbott. I blinked in confusion, before all of it came rushing back to me. Grittleton had called with a threat, and I'd contacted John and brought him to town. I'd told him about Malcolm and I, and made an agreement with him to give me incriminating evidence on his brother so he'd stop harassing me. He'd helped me decode my phone and all my devices and removed the GPS tracker and camcorder from my motorcycle. It had somehow taken longer than I'd anticipated... and had made me late for my meeting with Malcolm. He'd been very pissed off, especially since he'd realised I'd drunk, and we had almost had a first fight. Then apparently, I'd made it up to him.

If he'd been angry because I was slightly late and had drunk on the job - and oh well, had flirted with a colleague in front of him, dick move, l know - how would he take the truth about me being Sean Michigan, asshole cop who'd made a pass at his sister and did not stop even when she asked me to? All while lying to him and telling him that I didn't know this person. All while I had befriended and seduced him to get him to abuse from drugs and make him an addict, because I was following an order from his nemesis, Anthony Grittleton, who'd murdered his father and made his family's life hell.

Jeez. I exhaled, all these thoughts driving my head crazy. I started typing out a message to Malcolm.

Sorry my love, only just woke up xxxx

It was too early, but he'd find the text when he got up, anyway. I wondered if the words 'my love' were slightly extreme.

The phone surprised me by vibrating a couple of minutes later. Malcolm had replied.