Chapter 6

Chapter 6 - Malcolm's POV 

I spent the evening after I'd spoken to Edward sitting at my desk, trying to work on my assignment, and trying not to think about the situation I'd found myself in. Only three more years until I graduated and got to work as a lawyer. I loved studying, but I was suddenly desperate to be able to work and earn more money, and more than anything, get this over and done with. My mind was distracted.

I'd clearly been desperate enough to speak to Edward about it. I loved Edward, but he tended to discuss everything with Ella these days, and - fortunately for her - had become too sensible considering how much time he'd spent shoplifting, taking drugs and in jail in the past. I had a feeling he suspected that I had been speaking about a man, not a woman, when discussing Sean. I hoped he wouldn't think too much into it. I wasn't ready to tell yet, not until I was sure that what we had was real. I also hoped that he wasn't really onto the fact that I was taking drugs again. He'd asked me outright, and I think that I succeeded in lying. But with Edward you could never tell. He'd undoubtedly keep watching me until he finds out. So I either had to quit or be more careful. Thing was, if I quit I'd have to stop meeting Sean too, because I had my doubts if he'd be willing to quit.

I hadn't planned on starting on drugs again, I really hadn't, especially after having gone through the rehabilitation process. But the moment I'd met Sean, planning anything was out of the question. I'd lost all sense of control.

I twisted the nib of the pen I was taking notes with. I could ask him out on a date, I guess, like Edward suggested. And after, if he accepted, I could ask what all of this meant to him. Ella was spending the day at Edward's tomorrow, I could ask him then. Maybe we could meet up during the day if he wasn't working... I could invite him here?

As if on cue, my phone beeped. I unlocked it. It was a new message from Sean. He'd sent me a photo of himself in his uniform, face resting on his elbow. Night shift this evening, he'd captioned, with a sad emoji. I smiled, looking at the picture. He'd certainly been right about him looking good in the uniform. I zoomed the photo, looking more closely. First two buttons undone, police badge sewn neatly, and the space where the badge with his name should be...empty. There were two tiny holes on where it should have been pinned. Weird.

Enjoy! I replied. I decided to add a second message. No tag?

Forgot it at home, boo, he answered. What are you up to?

StuDYING, I answered with a smirk.

Haha. His answer was short.

I sighed, thinking of what I should say. I always worried that he would stop replying, even though he often texted first. So, PC Leroy, then, is it? I inquired. That's how he appeared on Facebook.

Badge? Yes.

Till what time is your shift tomorrow morning? Wanna meet up?

8am. Zzzz. What's this? You trying to see if you can keep me awake after a 12 hour shift? He added a winking emoji. My heart raced.

I can try. I exhaled. I was always very serious whilst texting him. Listen, leave it. I'll let you rest. We can meet later, if you're free.

My phone started vibrating. He was calling me. I answered. "Hello?" I said tentatively.

"Seriously?" he answered. "You give me something to look forward to after my shift and then you tell me to leave it? No."

I chuckled. "You said you're going to be tired."

"No I didn't. I asked if you're going to keep me awake after my shift. I was flirting. It's not like I'm not going to sleep during my shift, anyway."