Chapter 38

Sean's POV

I messaged Jeremy the following morning from work. He hadn't been in touch, which was not rare for us, but when he'd spent the morning with my boyfriend I expected some sort of feedback. I'd made him mad, though, so I guess it was expected. Not like him, though.

You okay? I asked.

He replied after a good fifteen minutes. Do you care?

I rolled my eyes inadvertently. Drama queen. Oh no, not at all, I answered.

Aha, at least you admit it, Jeremy said, clearly still feeling sensitive about the whole situation.

Come off it, Jer. I've done much worse to you and you've never complained.

Maybe this is because I'm tired of dealing with your shit. Also, Malcolm is lovely, and you're an asshole for doing what you're doing to him.

I exhaled as I read the message. I'm not doing anything to him. I'm trying my best, I answered. Then I added, Yesterday evening he got very suspicious about the situation. He found the fact that me, Ella and Michigan were all in the same place weird.

...That's because you and Michigan are one and the same, idiot. Ella's nice too, don't know how you could have harassed her. You've clearly lost the plot - and then only told me about it when you screwed everything up.

Jeremy's words were harsh now. I could tell he was still very pissed off. I glanced at the watch. 8am. My shift was just about to start. I poured coffee into my mug, then continued typing.

Yes, I know, Jer. Anyway. Malcolm even confronted me about it, saying that for one second he thought we were the same person. I didn't manage to say yes we are. He ended up apologising.

... So he told you about his suspicions, and you made him feel guilty and in the wrong for thinking something like that? Wow.

I sat down in front of my desk, opening up another button on my shirt. Clark walked in - we had our shift together this morning. I nodded at him and continued texting.

I know it seems stupid. But I wanted to spend another night with him. Before everything changes.

Genius, Jeremy answered instantly. And if it weren't so obvious that he was being sarcastic, he added, You're a bloody idiot.

The words stung, but I knew he was right. I typed back, I know. I need to find a way to tell him. Have you come up with anything?

Zilch. It's one of the worst situations I've ever encountered. My advice is just tell him before he finds out some other way. He isn't stupid, and neither is Ella.

I sighed. I'll try. Thank you, Jer. You're the best.

I'm not done being mad at you. I'll inform you once I am.

I chuckled. I had so much respect for Jeremy. He treated me like a brother and I didn't appreciate him enough, I knew. I replied, Xxxxxx to him - I knew he wouldn't answer me this time, I was making him more and more angry.

I turned to look at my colleague. "Good morning," I said. It seemed like our bosses meant to give us common shifts frequently. It was a good thing we'd gotten over our initial awkwardness commenced through my being unprofessional.

"'Morning," he answered with an easy smile. I remembered his first name. Liam. But to my knowledge everyone called him Clark.

"Coffee?" I asked him.