Chapter 125

Malcolm's POV

Jimmy stood behind the door, frowning. Sean's former neighbour, the one who disliked him but was the only one nice enough to keep a copy of his key for emergencies. The four years that had passed had evidently left an impact on his appearance. He looked more dishevelled now.

His eyes widened in recognition as they flitted between Sophie and I. "What's this?" he asked.

"Could we come in? We'd like to speak to you." Sophie offered her best smile.

I didn't do anything, because the way Jimmy had looked at me had been the same way he'd looked at me in the few times he'd seen me, and it reminded me how homophobic he'd been towards Sean and I.

Jimmy opened the door reluctantly. "Alright," he said. "Sorry about the mess." Sophie stepped in and I followed, my eyes meeting Jimmy's briefly. I looked away.

The format of his apartment was exactly like Sean's, given that it was right above it. He had a few things lying around, since he hadn't been expecting company, but it wasn't too bad. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

I stopped, waiting for Jimmy to lead the way. He led us to the sofa, and gestured for us to sit. "Can I get you anything?" he asked.

"No, thanks," I muttered.

"I'll put the kettle on," he said, making his way to the kitchen. I rolled my eyes. Sophie watched me in silence.

"Do you have issues with everyone around you?" she asked.

"When they call me a faggot just for living my life, yes," I answered in a low voice.

Sophie's eyes widened, but she didn't reply, because Jimmy had made his way back to us.

"So what is this about?" he asked us, sitting on the single sofa. "After the other friend picked up his key from me, I thought I'd never see any of your faces again."

He was referring to Jeremy, because Sophie shifted in her seat. "Well, if Sean wasn't going to use the key, no one else needs to, I guess."

"Apparently. The new tenants are quiet and offer no trouble." Jimmy smiled at Sophie sarcastically. "Quite a difference to the few weeks following the arrest."

What an asshole. "What do you remember from those few weeks?" I asked now, shifting forward.

He looked back at me in suspicion. "I never did catch your name," he said.

"Malcolm. Malcolm Campbell."

He frowned. "And why should I answer you?"

I exhaled, trying not to lose my temper. Instead I took out my wallet and took out my card from it. I handed it to Jimmy.

He read the card. His eyebrows arched, impressed. "You're a lawyer," he said. He met my gaze. "I wonder how your clients would react to the knowledge that you were messing around with a criminal."

I glared at him. "I was just a student then, and we were in love." I felt defensive.

"In love. Two men. Please." Jimmy laughed as he looked at me. "So in love that I never saw you after that day, after you ran off when the police came."

I cocked my head, choosing to ignore his homophobic comment. "You saw me?" My heart beat fast at the memory of that Christmas day with Sean.

"Of course." Jimmy sat back, folding his arms. My card was still in his hand. He glanced back at it, before looking back at me.

"What else did you see?" Sophie asked now.

"A lot of things. Three police officers walking up to the door, with backup on the way. Sean being taken away, his other friend coming and going to the apartment, overseeing the investigation, clearing out the apartment..."