Chapter 71

Sean's POV

The next morning I awoke to the smell of fresh coffee brewing. I opened my eyes and looked up at the elaborate soffit ceiling, a far cry from the concrete I'd seen each time I looked up, every day for the past four years. I couldn't quite believe I was here, free.

I left the bed and made my way downstairs and into the kitchen. Jeremy was standing in front of the cooker, flipping pancakes. I stopped to admire the table he'd set up. For the four years that I'd spent in prison, he'd told me that he'd be making me a proper breakfast on the first day that I woke up at home instead of in a cell, but this defied all odds. It was exquisite, it was exactly what I'd expect from Jeremy.

A memory sprang to mind, then. Of Malcolm, and the one time he'd made me breakfast, in an elaborate attempt to ask me out on a date, four years prior. I'd known I had been growing fond of him even then, but it was that moment which really made me realise just how important he was becoming to me.

I pushed the thought away. I couldn't think about Malcolm. Not right now.

I made my way to Jeremy, who still had his back to me, and stopped next to him. "Good morning," I said to him. He was wearing a plain black t-shirt and jogging pants.

He turned to me swiftly, his lips curving into a smile. "Hey," he said, pulling me to him into a half-hug.

"You're gonna keep hugging me?" I joked.

"Duh, you know how I am," he said. "And I have to catch up for the four years we missed." He released me as he flipped the final pancake.

I knew how he was. I remembered how much Malcolm had hated seeing Jeremy hanging close to me and touching me. He hadn't realised that Jeremy was that kind of person who craved human contact with the people he loved or cared for.

I grimaced, realising that my thoughts had drifted to Malcolm again.

"That's okay," I said to Jeremy now. "You had Sophie."

Jeremy glanced back at me, a brief smile on his lips. He pushed the plate filled with pancakes into my hands. He didn't answer me about what I'd just said. "She's cleared her schedule to take you shopping today, if you're feeling up to it," he said instead.

I arched an eyebrow. I desperately needed clothes. "Okay. You sure know a lot about Sophie's plans, considering that she was sleeping on the other side of the house." I felt like teasing him.

Jeremy picked up the coffee pot. "Don't be annoying," he told me. But he still had a smile on his face. I looked back at him, my expression amused.

It was now that Sophie walked in. She looked between the two of us, but didn't comment. "Good morning, sweetie," she said to me, also hugging me.

"Morning," I replied, a smile on my face. I placed a kiss on her head, and finally put the plate on the table. I turned to Jeremy. "This looks wonderful. Thank you so much."

Jeremy smiled. "You're welcome. Sit down, both of you." He turned and took out plates from the cupboard as Sophie and I sat down. I looked towards him, wanting to be useful, but he seemed to have the situation under control. He sat down next to me and started pouring coffee for the three of us. Then he placed the coffee pot on the table. I watched curiously as his eyes met Sophie's, and he gestured to her. She reached behind the loaf of bread that there was on the table, and pulled out a white box. It had the Apple logo on it. She handed it to me.

"Jer and I pooled in on this for you, sweetheart," she told me.

I blinked, looking from her to the box in disbelief. "What?" I asked.