Chapter 56

Malcolm's POV

I woke up the next morning feeling shattered. I hadn't had enough sleep; I'd only fallen asleep around 5am, and only out of exhaustion. I was supposed to have lectures this morning, but I'd awoken later than the lecture had begun. I messaged Christine.

Still not feeling 100%. Can you send me the notes please? Thanks.

I sat at Sean's dining table, sipping on coffee, whilst he took a shower. He was meant to be working at 10am. We had barely exchanged two words since we'd woken up.

I glanced at my phone to check Christine's reply.

Of course, take care, Malcolm. Let me know when you have updates.

I exhaled. I didn't want to speak to anyone about this. I usually opened up to Edward or to Alice about my problems... but now I was too embarrassed to.

The doorbell rang and I stood up, grateful for any distraction. I opened the door and came face to face with Jeremy. His eyes widened when he saw me.

"You're here," he said, the exact same words Sean had said the previous night when he'd seen me. I swear, these two could be brothers with the way they matched in everything they did.

"Yeah," I answered. "I'm here."

He regarded me slowly, taking my image in; my crumpled clothing, which I'd slept in, and my dishevelled hair and unshaved stubble. He looked much better than I did, in his black shirt and dark blue chinos, and sneakers I'd gotten accustomed to him wearing. He had on a black hoodie on top. "How are you?" he asked me softly.

I shrugged. "I don't know," I admitted.

"Is Sean here?" he looked around. We were still standing at the door. I realised that I hadn't asked him in. I stepped aside, but he shook his head. "No, I just wanted to check on him. I don't need to come in."

I leaned against the doorframe. "He's in the shower."

He studied me. "Did you two make up?" he inquired.

"I don't know," I said once again. "Didn't Sean message you, then?" I thought the two were so tightly knit that he'd tell him the moment I was here.

"Not since yesterday morning." Jeremy frowned. "Is he okay, then?"

I shrugged for the second time. "I thought you'd know. You know, with you two being so close and all." I met his eyes, and he looked away uncomfortably. "Why are you here, really, Jeremy?"

"I'm on my way to work. The last time I saw Sean he was devastated. I wanted to check on him." I noticed now that he had a bag in his hands. He handed it to me. "Give this to him, will you? Well, help yourself, too, actually."

I took the bag, frowning at its contents. He had brought croissants. "Thanks," I mumbled.

Jeremy stepped in now, placing his arm on mine. "How are you, really, Malcolm?" he asked me. My eyes met his. I exhaled.

"I don't know, really. These past two days have been extremely hard."

Jeremy released the grip on me and closed the door. He leaned against it now, looking at me. "It must be really difficult, for you."

"It is." I turned and walked to the kitchen counter, placing the bag of croissants on the counter. Sean's badges were still abandoned there, where he'd taken them off the night before. I glanced at the one which had his name on it. Jeremy had stepped next to me, and was now also looking at the tag. I heard him exhale.