Chapter 92

Malcolm's POV

Sophie called me the next day at around 4pm. I was still at work, finishing off a case file.

"Hello, Sophie," I said. "5pm, right? Can we meet outside? I don't want to go in by myself."

"Malcolm," she answered. She sounded groggy. "I have a cold. I can't make it."

I paused from what I was writing. "Well, I'm not gonna go on my own," I said. But then I realised how selfish I was sounding. "Are you okay? Do you need anything?" I asked her.

Sophie didn't reply immediately. "I'm okay," she said in a low voice. "Just... lonely. I'm used to it, though."

My mind immediately went to Sean and to Jeremy. They hadn't visited, then. "Do you want me to come over there instead?" I asked.

She forced a laugh. "No, sweetie. Go to the office. You don't need me there."

I wanted to say that I did, but I was too shocked by her affectionate term towards me, when up to the previous day we were almost tearing each other's eyes out. "Okay," I conceded. "I'll go. You're sure you don't need anything?"

"Thanks, Malcolm. I'm fine."

"Get well soon."

"Thank you. Bye."

She cut off the line before giving me a chance to say goodbye. I exhaled, feeling slightly worried about her. And for me as well, because I was going to have to make it to the meeting on my own. I texted my sister.

Ella, are you and Ed going to be at the office today?

Her reply was instant. No. Not today. We have to go see a wedding venue today. Why, are you going?

I forced myself to answer. Yeah.

I tried focusing on my work for the next half an hour, before signing out. I said goodbye to my colleagues and looked up the address of the space in which Sophie had set up camp. And I drove towards there, heart beating rapidly in my chest, at the knowledge that within a few minutes, I was going to see Sean again, and out of my will.

Not much out of my own will as it was Sophie's and Paul's, to be fair.

I parked right outside and made my way into the majestic building. 4th floor, apparently. I stopped in front of the lift and pressed it. A message came up, asking me to enter the pin number.

Shit. I looked around. There was no one here, except for the security outside.

I took out my phone and tried calling Sophie. No response. She was probably sleeping.

I exhaled in frustration.

I messaged Alice now. Hey do you have the pin number of the lift to the office? Can you let me in?

She replied after a good couple of minutes. I won't be there today, Liam and I are going to look at an apartment for sale. But I'm so glad you're going. Jeremy will give you a code. You can ask him.

Ugh, what was it with people who were getting married today?

Alice sent me another text before I could reply to the first one. Wait though because Jeremy was without a phone and I don't know if he got a new one. Call Sean. He'll let you in. They should be there together.

Of course they would. She sent me Sean's new number, and I bit my lip in frustration, not wanting to do this.

Can you call him for me? Please, I asked Alice.