Chapter 81

Malcolm's POV

The days following my two confrontations with Sean were spent in a daze. I had been moping around from the evening where I'd argued with my sister and stormed out, and I was avoiding being at home altogether. But ultimately, after the argument with Sean, where I'd also earned a well-deserved punch from Sophie, that's where I needed to go. I had had to tell Ella where I'd been, and that no, Sean wasn't working with Anthony. That I could tell. I didn't elaborate on the dent I had close by to my nose.

Thankfully I had some good distractions. I met up with Christine, and I also met Paul occasionally, making it a point to show how grateful I was about him letting me stay over on the previous Saturday night. I'd briefed him quickly, but hadn't explained in detail, preferring instead to enjoy the time I was spending with him.

On Tuesday morning, I stayed in my room until I'd heard the front door shut and was sure that Ella wasn't home. I wasn't needed at the office where I worked on this day, the court cases we had weren't until Thursday, and so we were allowed to work from home, which was good, so that me, the lawyer, didn't show up at court with a dent on my face that made it obvious that I'd been in an argument.

I walked down the stairs, laptop in tow, ready to start working. I was met with my Mum in the kitchen. I froze. She smiled at me, her eyes stopping on my nose.

"Good morning," I said to her, eyes flitting downwards to avoid her gaze. I set the laptop on the table and made my way to the kitchen counter to make coffee.

"Good morning, Malcolm," she told me. I turned and offered a brief smile, before turning away once again. She waited for me to place my coffee mug on the table before asking me.

"What happened to you?"

I looked up at her before sitting down. "Don't worry, I'm fine. I deserved it," I answered. I opened the laptop and switched it on.

She sat down opposite me, watching me in concern. "What did you do?" she asked me.

I met her eyes. If Anthony was back, she'd probably be finding out soon anyway. "I basically told Sean Michigan to kill himself," I said. She lifted her eyebrows slightly, and I found myself continuing. "Which may have not been the nicest thing to say to him, since he'd once admitted to me that he's had suicidal thoughts over time." I exhaled, suddenly feeling guilty.

"You and your sharp tongue, Malcolm," my Mum said disapprovingly.

I shrugged, trying to appear nonchalant. "He'd never do it with that ego," I mumbled. "Anyway, his sister punched me. Whatever." I glared at the memory, then tried turning my attention to my laptop.

"And why did you do it?" my Mum asked now.

"He deserved it and more," I answered shortly.

"After four years in jail?"

"They weren't for what he did to me," I said in a gruff voice. "He got away with that."

My mother eyed me briefly, but didn't say anything. We sat in awkward silence for a few minutes, until I could no longer handle it. Might as well go in for the long haul, if she was probably going to hear this story later, now that Anthony was really back.

I looked up at her. "Mum," I said. She met my gaze. "I want to tell you something."

She looked back at me, her brows creasing. "Tell me," she said.

I took a sharp breath, looking into the distance before focusing back on her. "Sean is my ex boyfriend," I muttered.

She regarded me without blinking, seemingly unfazed. "Yes, I know, sweetheart," she said.