Chapter 106

Jeremy's POV

I made my way to the stairs, ditching the lift, and practically ran up. I'd left my brother in the middle of dinner, but he understood, I guess, that to me Sean was a priority.

I arrived on floor four out of breath. The lights were switched on. Sean was sitting down on the ground against his desk, legs propped up. His parka jacket covered him. Ella was sitting down next to him, also against the desk. Neither of them were speaking.

I watched this scene quietly before they noticed my presence. It was funny how things changed. I remembered how Ella had loathed Sean, the first time I'd met her at the cafeteria, and how she'd also confronted him with the photos of him with Malcolm just a few weeks ago.

I made my way towards them. They both looked up. Sean looked better than he had on instances when he'd had other panic attacks. Ella's presence must have calmed him down.

"Hi," I said softly.

"Hey," he answered.

I squatted down in front of him. "You okay?" I asked him.

He exhaled, meeting my eyes. "I have to be, somehow, because I promised you," he said.

I offered a smile. "You're allowed to have a bad day," I answered him. "Are you gonna stand up or do I sit down next to you guys?" I asked now. I turned to look at Ella for the first time. She was watching our interaction quietly.

"I'll stand," Sean murmured. I stood up from my squat, and put my hand out for him to take. He stood up too, holding his jacket in his hand. His shirt was unbuttoned; Malcolm's doing, I guessed. I glanced at the scars, seeing them properly for the first time, before he dumped the jacket in my hand and started buttoning the shirt back up. I shifted my gaze to look at Ella, who'd also stood up. She'd been looking at him too, and from the way she tore her eyes away, I was sure that she'd also seen the scars. Malcolm hadn't, for sure. He'd probably been too busy yelling.

"Thanks." Sean took the jacket back from me and put it on. He sat in his chair, quietly, without saying anything.

I watched him thoughtfully. I wasn't going to pester him to give me details. Ella had been brief about what had happened, but I could assume. When Sean had panic attacks, he zoned out, he didn't elaborate. This had been more than a panic attack, though. It was a flashback. I wondered what he'd remembered.

I grabbed my own chair and shifted it close to Sean's, sitting down next to him. I glanced up at Ella. "You can go, if you wish," I said to her.

Ella looked reluctant. "Are you sure?" she asked, her gaze flitting to Sean's.

"Yeah, don't keep him waiting," I answered in reference to Malcolm. Ella's look turned sour. Malcolm was going to get an earful from her. It served him right.

"Okay," she said now. "Let me know if you need anything, okay?" Ella glanced at Sean once again. He finally looked up at her.

"Thanks," he mumbled. "You helped me even though I don't deserve it."

Ella offered a brief smile. "I'm sorry about the way Malcolm acted," she answered.

Sean frowned at the mention of Malcolm's name. He closed his eyes, exhaling sharply. I took his hand, and he reopened his eyes, looking back at me gratefully.

Ella watched us quietly, before gesturing that she would be leaving. I nodded, and waited for her to leave before turning back to Sean. I took his anxiety pills out of my pocket and handed them to him.

He opened the bottle and took one, swallowing it without a liquid. Then he looked at me. "Thanks, Jer."

I looked at him. "Are you going to be okay?" I asked him, my stomach churning. I had already lost Sophie, I couldn't bear the thought of losing Sean too. Not again.