Chapter 4

Chapter 4 - Malcolm's POV

Sean drove me home on his motorcycle after that crazy evening and morning. I had totally forgotten that I hadn't driven myself to the club that evening. I'd walked, and would be hitching a ride back home with my friend Alice, had she showed up.

But somehow I'd ended up feeling sick and found solace in a virtual stranger, who'd met me literally that night, and took care of me, even going as far as taking me home with him. Of course, apparently he'd been interested, and that was partly the reason why he'd done it. Thank goodness he hadn't been a freak. Well, if he was, he knew where I lived, now, too...

I hadn't liked him at first, I'll admit. He was way too full of himself and presumptuous for my liking. Yeah, he definitely was attractive. But I didn't want to show him that. I didn't want to admit it. Admitting it would open up a new reality; a reality I wasn't ready for yet. Yet I'd thrown that out the window the moment he acted nice to me... and boy had I thrown all of that out the window. Kissing him hadn't been enough, apparently. I'd just had to go all the way. With a stranger and the first time I'd met them. Not very Malcolm-like.

The worst part of the deal, though, was that I'd succumbed to drug use once again. I was ashamed at how easily I'd give in. Peer pressure all over again. This time it wasn't because of my friends, though, but because I'd been caught in the moment with a stranger, my first time, with someone whom I was very attracted to and who definitely knew what he was doing. I felt free, like I could finally live my life the way I should be. And that was a part of the reason why I had not resisted.

By the next day, I'd come to realise that although those two moments with Sean had been very special, I couldn't see him again. Because it was clear that he was an avid drug user, and it would definitely radiate off on me. And that was not a life I wanted to go back to. It was a difficult decision, because I was very attracted to him, and very relieved to finally be able to partially emerge from deep within the closet.

And so, although I had his number, I didn't call or message him. I didn't even know his last name, and he didn't know mine, so we couldn't look each other up. But I hadn't anticipated that like he'd given me his number, I'd given him mine, and so, he messaged me the day after, when I was sitting at the kitchen table in the morning. My heart sped up at the realisation of who'd texted me.

Hey, Malcolm, it's Sean. How are you doing? I hope you feel better after yesterday.

In spite of my initial shock, I chuckled at the text. Clearly I'd felt better after feeling sick at the pub, because I'd slept with him twice. But it was sweet of him to ask. Yet, based on the decision I'd taken, I couldn't reply.

My sister Ella looked back at me curiously. She was cooking, but had heard me chuckle. "What's up?" she asked.

I shrugged. "Not much. A friend just asked me if I'm okay, since I was feeling slightly sick two days ago. But I spent the morning with them yesterday. They should know."

Ella arched an eyebrow. "Was this when you didn't come home at all?" she asked.

I grimaced. That's what happened when you still lived with your family. "Yeah," I answered. I didn't explain, and Ella didn't ask further.

"Still, I guess it's nice of them to ask how you are," she said. I considered this.

"Perhaps," I answered. I stood up, trying not to think about the moments I'd spent with Sean. I walked up the stairs thoughtfully. And by the time I'd reached my room, I'd composed a message and hit send before I could change my mind.

Hey, I'm fine, thanks. Thank you for asking, and for helping me out. I appreciate it.

I received a reply within a couple of seconds. Great. Was expecting a thank you for the good time, too, but nevermind.