Chapter 37

Malcolm's POV 

That evening, after a pleasant dinner with my family, I drove over to Sean's. It was rare to have mum around for dinner in the evening, so it was even more enjoyable that it usually would be. It also didn't give Ella and Edward time to keep asking me about who I was meeting, etcetera.

I guess I could have taken the opportunity to tell them about Sean, since we were all together, I mused as I emerged from my car. But, it was a nice setting, and I didn't want twenty questions from them. I rang the doorbell outside the main door and Sean buzzed me in. I took the stairs slowly, using the time to think over certain things. Let's see what mood he was in now.

Sean was waiting for me at the front door when I arrived. He looked better than he had in the past few days. His long hair was neatly pulled away from his face, and we wore a plain black t-shirt and grey joggers. His face broke into a smile when he saw me. "Hey, my love," he said, pulling me into a hug. Okay, good mood, apparently. I pulled away, feeling uncomfortable for some unfathomable reason. He leaned in for a kiss, but pulled away when he realised I wasn't as into it as he was. He looked at me, a blend of amusement and worry. "You're pissed off at me, aren't you?"

I shook my head, and walked past him, into the apartment. "I'm not." I glanced at him. "How are you?"

"I'm fine." Sean watched me warily as he closed the door. "I'm really sorry for bailing on you this morning. How was it, with Jeremy?"

We made our way to the kitchen, and I started taking off my jacket. Jeremy and I had had a surprisingly interesting lunch together. He was inquisitive, funny and caring, and I now understood why Sean was such good friends with him. He truly cared about him. "It was nice," I answered. "He's nicer than you," I joked. Sean laughed.

"For sure." He walked up to me and put his hands on my shoulders. "Are you sure you're okay with me? It was a bit of a dick move from my end, bailing on you without notice. Bloody work."

"It was," I agreed. "But you've had a shitty few days and so I'll let it go this time. Well, as long as you make it up to me." My eyes met Sean's grey ones and he chuckled.

"You barely let me kiss you," he muttered. "But still. We have to make up for lost time, too. We haven't had any quality time since the day I came to your house a week ago. Too damn long."

"Okay." I opened one of the cupboards and took out a glass, helping myself to some water. Sean watched me in great interest, a smile playing on his lips. I caught his eye. "What?" I asked.

"I like the fact that you seem to be making yourself at home," he said softly. "Who knows, maybe someday you'll be living here, with me."

I blinked at his extreme directness. "You're already thinking about that?" I asked. I had literally known him for a little over two months.

He shrugged. "I'm not saying now. Just a positive thought into the future."

I drank my water, mainly as a means for filling in the silence. Sean was confusing. Within a couple of weeks he'd jumped from not wanting to be exclusive into speaking about moving in together. I turned away and walked towards the sofa. He followed like a little puppy.

"Are you really okay?" he asked me. I sat down and he sat down next to me, taking my hand in his.

"Yeah, I just have a nagging feeling today," I admitted. I couldn't explain what it was or where it had come from.

"This isn't about you hanging out with Jeremy, right? Maybe he made an insensitive comment like he likes to do." Sean was looking at me worriedly. He stroked my fingers softly, giving me goosebumps. I looked up at him.