Chapter 103

Sophie's POV

"Well, you took it better than I did, I think," Malcolm said to me, looking amused - and drunk.

"It's weirder for me, he's my brother," I answered.

"Hmm. But you don't suffer from jealousy like I do," he replied. "Cole's such a dick, ugh."

"You don't treat Jeremy much better, hey," I told him. He just chuckled.

"I'm not mean-spirited though. Tell me the rest of the story another time, okay? You must be knackered." Malcolm leaned and kissed my cheek. "I think you're a sweetheart, Sophie," he said. "I really like you."

I smiled back at him, taking his hand in mine. He hugged me tightly.

This was the exact moment that the front door opened. Ella and Malcolm's mother walked in, with shopping bags in their hand. Malcolm pulled away, but not before they'd seen the whole scene, starting from when he'd kissed my cheek up to the moment he'd hugged me.

Both of them blinked. Ella almost dropped her bags. Malcolm looked up at them, offering a brief smile. I didn't. I just glanced up at them, feeling awkward. "Hey, guys," he said.

"What is this, you've switched back?" Ella blurted out. Her gaze went to me.

Malcolm laughed. "Ew, no," he answered. I swatted at him with my glass. He chuckled again as he shifted away from me, and stood up, facing Ella. "Can't switch back if I've never been straight, Ella," he said in amusement. He offered a hand for me to take, and I did, standing up. I felt extremely uncomfortable.

"I can't believe I never realised he was gay," Ella muttered to her Mum.

Malcolm moved to his mother and took the bags from her hands. "Hi Mum," he said. He made his way to the kitchen and dropped the groceries on the table, before coming back next to me.

"Hi," his mum answered. Both Ella and her watched as Malcolm slid his arm around me.

"This is Sophie, Mum. Sean's sister," he said nonchalantly. The alcohol had clearly loosened him up, he was calmer than usual.

"Oh." His Mum frowned, trying to understand why I was here, with him. Sean's sister. She smiled at me. "Nice to meet you."

I smiled back. "Nice to meet you too." She seemed nice.

Malcolm squeezed my shoulder, offering a smile at me, and released me.

"Why are you here?" Ella asked now. She was glaring at me. I recalled that Sean had told her about Cole. I was the villain here.

"We're working together, aren't we," Malcolm answered for me. He picked up the bottle, the glasses and the empty ice cream tub. "Bloody hell, we drank a lot," he said to me, arching an eyebrow.

"You hold on to that. We'll share the Tomatin 30-year-old next time," I answered him easily. Around 500 euros, no biggie.

"Tempting," he replied, eyes locking with mine.

Ella interrupted us. "I don't know how you can work with her."

Malcolm turned to her abruptly. "We make a good team," he answered once again. "She doesn't have anything to do with what Sean did to me."

"That's not what I meant. She's dating Cole."

I faced her now. "That doesn't change anything," I answered softly.

"You know it does." Ella scowled at me.

I didn't say anything. I just exhaled, looking at Malcolm. He gestured for me to follow him into the kitchen. He turned to me as soon as he arrived. "She'll come around," he said. He paused when he turned back, realising that his mother was also in the kitchen.