Chapter 85

Sean's POV

I spent the days leading up to Monday working and planning for the meeting which would kickstart our attempt at obtaining information about Anthony Grittleton, to try to catch him in one of his hurdles, to see what he was going to do to us now, and to prove that he'd framed me. The latter was tricky, because I personally also wanted to prove that Cole had collaborated with him on that. He'd told me blatantly, that one time at the police station, that the two of them had one common goal. Clark had heard him, too. And then, on that fateful day, on Christmas, he'd basically told me that my freedom was running out. So there was something off. But with the way my sister was "hanging" out with him, I had to shut up.

On Monday morning I passed my motorcycle driving test. By the afternoon, the motorcycle I'd ordered had been delivered. I was aching to go for a drive, but the priority was the meeting.

Sophie, Jeremy and I made our way to the place where our new workspace was going to be at around 5pm. I'd never been to the third floor of the Michigan-Finley building before. There was a lift which led directly into the offices, accessible through a PIN number. There were also stairs which led to a door, which was also opened through a number. The code had been messaged by Jeremy to each individual member of this meeting.

We were the first ones there. It was a large open space, with seven desks,a couple of which were larger so that a couple of people could squeeze into them, if the space was needed. To the left was a bathroom, and opposite there was another door which led to a small kitchen. There was a glass room with a large table and chairs around it, in a boardroom setting, which could be closed off with retracting blinds. There was also another separate room which also had a desk and a cream-coloured sofa; this would, under normal circumstances, be the boss's room, at a guess. The furniture was crisp and modern; everything I would expect from Sophie and Gavin, Jeremy's brother, who'd apparently designed the space. Around the open plan room, there were large paned windows, which reflected light onto the ebony furniture. There was also a counter on the right: on it was a coffee machine, which, according to Sophie, had been bought especially for our meetings.

I picked out one of the larger desks, whose back faced the lift. Jeremy would be sitting to my left. I set my messenger bag on the desk and lifted my hands to my hair, to put it into a messy bun. I was wearing a knit dark green pullover, together with black cords, black tassel loafers and a long grey coat, which once again, I did not want to know the price of. Styled by Sophie, once again. It was as if she thought that I hadn't had any dress sense prior to entering jail. But it seemed that her and Jeremy were enjoying playing parents to me. Let them enjoy it for the time being.

The lift door opened and Sarah appeared, wearing her signature pantsuit and with her hair in a low ponytail. She beamed when she saw me, and walked over to me for a hug. "You look like you stepped out of a catalogue," she told me. I laughed.

"Thanks, Sarah," I answered. "Nice space, huh?"

Sarah and I looked around, watching Sophie and Jeremy in a corner, discussing something intently. I caught Sarah's eye and she smiled, seemingly also having caught on to their secret relationship. She waved a hello to them, then turned back to me.

"Congratulations on getting the acceptance letter for the Ph.D., sweetheart," she told me. I smiled.

"Thank you, I'm really looking forward to it," I replied with a beam. "I had my first meeting this week."

"And how was it?" Sarah inquired.

"Good, good." I chuckled and leaned against the desk. "Guess whose thesis on revenge crime I have to consult, as recommended by my new supervisor."

Her eyes widened. "Seriously?" she asked. She definitely remembered Malcolm's topic; she'd helped him pick it out and write the proposal.

"Yep, and she wants me to meet him too, discuss the topic too, he's a lovely person apparently, very smart." I arched an eyebrow.