Chapter 107

Sophie's POV

I had barely rushed out of the lift when Jeremy made his way to me in the same quick manner. He was looking at me with wide eyes.

"What happened?" I whispered.

"I don't know exactly. But you can imagine, with Malcolm and the way he's been with him recently. It triggered off a memory," Jeremy answered. It was strange to see him acknowledge me.

Both of us looked at Sean now, seated in his chair at his desk. He was drinking from a mug and staring into space. I turned back to Jeremy, and watched as he looked at Sean, his face etched in concern. Realisation struck me.

"You left him on his own with Malcolm?" I hissed.

He turned back to me. "I had to meet Gavin," he answered.

"You should have taken him with you!" I whisper-yelled. "Did it not occur to you that this would happen?"

"Soph, you triggered me. I wasn't thinking. For all we know, the memory that came up has something to do with your boyfriend." Jeremy glared at me now, and my heart sank, knowing he was right. I didn't reply. I just started making my way to Sean. Jeremy stopped me by grabbing my arm. I froze at his touch. "Don't ask him too many questions," he instructed me. I shook him off, and stopped in front of my brother.

"Hey," I said softly, kneeling down in front of him. He looked up, appearing confused.

"Sophie." Sean's eyes flitted from me to Jeremy. I could tell that in spite of the way he was feeling, he was worried about Jeremy having to see me. I grabbed his hand. His eyes were broken.

"What happened, Sean?" I asked. Out of the corner of my eye I watched as Jeremy glared at me, for doing the opposite of what he'd instructed.

Sean shook his head. "I don't... I don't... know exactly. Malcolm... we argued. And then he..." he trailed off.

I looked at him almost impatiently. I needed to know, to see on what basis I was going to kill Malcolm. "Tell me," I told him.

"Soph," Jeremy interrupted. I shot him a glare, and turned back to my brother.

Sean exhaled. "What happened... the pushing, the desk, it triggered a memory." He handed Jeremy the mug he was drinking from and rubbed his eyes.

I squeezed his hand, trying not to look panicked as the word 'desk' was mentioned. "What memory?" I whispered, tears in my eyes.

"Jail. Anthony. His gang." Sean spoke in short sentences. He closed his eyes, and my heart went to him. But I was relieved that the flashback hadn't been about Cole, because I would feel guiltier.

I sat up and hugged him to me. I felt him exhale against me. I pulled away to look at him. There were fresh tears in his eyes.

"When I stopped Malcolm, he got mad," he mumbled. "And left me here, to my memories."

"I'm sorry, sweetie," I said to him, taking his hand once again. I glanced at Jeremy. He was standing close by, arms folded, watching this scene in concern. "Are you okay?" I asked him.

He frowned. "This isn't about me," he said.

"I know you worry," I answered him, anxiously.

He nodded. "Of course I do," he mumbled.

Sean looked up towards him, and opened up his hand for him to take. Jeremy complied, and we were now each holding one of Sean's hands. "I need to stop blocking out stuff... maybe someday I can get over what happened," he murmured. I felt tears bite my eyes at his words. He'd been through so much.