Chapter 133

Sean's POV

I called Camille. She picked me up and drove me home without asking too many questions.

I didn't want to call Jeremy or Sophie. I didn't want them to see me this way. And I didn't want to tell them what had happened. Not the last part. I was already shaken enough.

"Are you okay?" Camille asked me when she saw how sunken in my face looked when I got into her car.

"Nope," I replied.

She smiled sympathetically. "Will you be?" she asked me.

"Eventually," I muttered, hugging my briefcase to me.

She didn't reply. She just patted my thigh, offering me support, before driving away.

The drive was silent and serene. Well, as serene as it could be with all the thoughts playing in my mind. I'd had a huge couple of days, the peak being the argument with Malcolm. As always, he'd turned into a child while arguing. Only this time he'd been malicious. This one was all his fault.

I reached for my tube of anxiety pills from my briefcase and swallowed one. I saw Camille glance at me briefly, but she didn't ask anything. She just focused on the road ahead, and when she stopped in front of our house, she still hadn't asked.

I unbuckled my seatbelt and turned to look at her. She was watching me curiously.

"Thanks, Cam. I need to get a car." I frowned. "Test's in a couple of weeks."

"You can call me anytime, Sean," she replied with a smile. She hadn't even made reference to the video leaked the previous day. And I knew she'd seen the article, because she'd messaged me to check up on me the night before.

I leaned towards her and kissed her cheek. "Thanks, sweetheart. I love you for not asking questions." My face lingered against hers for a few seconds, before I pulled away. I was savouring the closeness.

"I love you too, Sean," she answered me.

"Wanna come in?" I asked, even though I didn't feel like socialising.

Camille shook her head. "I'm heading back to work, sweetie."

I smiled, realising that she'd used the same endearing term Sophie liked using, when the two actually despised each other. I thanked her once again and made my way up the stairs to the front porch. I unlocked the door and made my way in, dropping my briefcase on the breakfast table. I exhaled sharply as I walked towards the living room, head down.

I heard movement and looked up. I froze. Jeremy was on the couch, with Lucas, and they were full-on making out. My eyes widened.

"Shit," I muttered without control.

Dammit. I realised my mistake immediately. I should have just walked away, they'd have never noticed me, because they'd have been, uhm, busy. But now they'd heard me, and they both pulled away at the same time. Jeremy looked shocked to see me, Lucas perhaps less so. Maybe he'd kept the possibility of me being around in mind.

"Sean," Jeremy said. He appeared very uncomfortable. "I thought you weren't going to be home till later."

"Sorry." I frowned, putting my hands to my face. "Change of plans. I'll catch you guys later." I turned to leave.

Jeremy's voice stopped me. "Hey, hey." He stood up and walked over to me. "What's wrong?"

I forced a smile. "Nothing. I'm fine. We can talk later, get back to your date."

He ignored my comment. "What happened with Professor Hurst?" he asked.

I shrugged. "It was fine. I told her the truth and she believed me. I was let off with a verbal warning, so I'm quite pleased about that." I smiled again, but I could tell that it wasn't reaching my eyes. Malcolm had ruined the good news Professor Hurst had given me.