Chapter 136

Sophie's POV 

"You look beautiful," I heard his voice say from behind me, as I applied the final touches to my lipstick. I smiled in the mirror, before turning to face him.

"You look extremely handsome as well," I shot him a compliment back. I watched as a smile appeared on his face, before he made his way to me. He grabbed my hips and pulled me against him, and regarded me.

"Happy New Year's eve," he said to me jokingly.

I'd opted to wear a Dolce & Gabbana silk organza bustier dress, in a camilia print, with hues of pink and green, underneath a Monot cropped white blazer. I'd paired this with ivory Jimmy Choo satin pumps, and the fresia Rosantica handle bag that Jeremy had given me, that I loved so much. On top of it all, I'd planned to wear a white Gucci scarf, since it was cold outside.

He, on the other hand, looked amazing as always, in his simple yet somehow sophisticated style. He was wearing a white Calvin Klein wool turtleneck jumper, and black Burberry twill pants for the occasion. He was also wearing black Alexander McQueen brogue leather lace-up boots, and a Calvin Klein wool blend speckled coat in grey.

Maybe my influence was rubbing off on him, after all.

"You, too," I said. This would be our first one spent together as a couple. I'd spent the past two years' New Year's eves with Cole, unfortunately.

"I love that I get to spend it with you this year," Jeremy told me. It was like he'd read my mind.

I tried to dismiss his suggestion that I'd spent the previous year's with Cole, even though I'd known that I was going to be dumping him as soon as I got the opportunity. "We've spent the whole day together, Jer," I said to him. I'd been working, but he'd come along with me. I watched as a smile played on his lips.

"We were at work," he complained, but he looked amused.

I scoffed. "Pretending to work! You're always around, taking care of our accounts, even when there's nothing to work on." Not that I wasn't glad about this. But I liked teasing Jeremy.

He arched an eyebrow. "I'd spend every day at your office if it means that I'd be with you," he said, and in spite of the way we were teasing each other, I knew he meant this.

"That's because you like getting up close and personal in my office," I told him.

He smirked. "That, too, sweetheart," he replied. "This is nice, I'm so happy," he murmured now. My thumb reached out and stroked his cheek.

"Me too, sweetie," I answered.

"Final New Year's eve and New Year's day without Sean around," he said now, evidently pleased. "I'm really hyped."

I smiled. He was so loving, especially when it came to Sean and I. "Me too. One more month."

In reality my feelings were conflicted. Yes, I couldn't wait for Sean to be released from prison, couldn't wait for him to start living life the way he should again, and for us to be reunited again. But I was also wary about what I was going to have to do once he did so. It was going to take guts for me to do it. And I also know the risk it carried with it, that I might lose everything I cared for.

We drove to the gastropub, where we'd be spending our evening. It was like a home away from home, especially for Jeremy. He liked being around the pub on busy days, so that he'd help out if the need arose. I'd always admired how dedicated he was to his business, and to his employees. And this way, he'd get to spend time with Louis, who had swiftly become a close friend of Jeremy's, aside from being entrusted with the role of a manager.