Chapter 109

Malcolm's POV

The ride to the ground floor in the lift was silent. Paul didn't speak. He wasn't even looking at me.

I sensed that something was wrong when I started following him towards his car and he still hadn't spoken. I caught up with him and grabbed his hand in mine. He glanced at me, and continued walking, hardly acknowledging me.

"Thanks for picking me up," I said. We'd made plans to meet, so I'd hitched a ride with Christine, leaving my own car at home.

It had been a weird couple of weeks. My mind wouldn't stop reeling about Sean, about that brief moment we'd shared, and about the way he'd had a flashback and the way I had treated him. I felt guilty about it - being chastised by Ella, Jeremy and Sophie hadn't helped - and I felt guilty about Paul. I'd met him the next day, and told him how Sean and I had argued - omitting the fact that I'd practically jumped on him - and that he'd had a panic attack and I'd left him on his own, earning several harsh words from my sister, his sister, and his best friend. Something told me that Paul had somehow figured out that something more had happened, though.

"You're welcome." His tone was short as he stopped in front of his car. He got into the driver's seat and started putting on his seatbelt. I followed, sitting down on the passenger seat. I placed a hand on his arm before he could start the car.

"Are we getting takeout?" I asked him.

He shrugged, his eyes falling on the watch on my right hand. "Or just order in," he answered, looking away from me. He started the car, and I released my grip from him abruptly.

The drive to Paul's apartment was painfully silent. I didn't attempt to speak to him again for now. My mind instead went to the events of the past few weeks. Somehow I was helping out Sophie in scouting information about Cole. I'd been given a list of people who worked for the Michigans over the years. I was currently going through it, looking for information from past employees. I'd spoken to three people, and they hadn't been very helpful. They didn't know who I was. Sophie, on the other hand, had been scouring Cole's phone for information. So far she had only found a couple of suspicious text messages, saying all ok and they don't suspect anything. She'd given me the number they were sent to, and I was currently trying to see if it belonged to Anthony. She was meant to look at photos next. And look for stuff in his house. Apparently she had to make more of an effort with him lately, since she'd been treating him like the shitbag he was.

Paul dropped the keys on the table as he walked into the apartment, and I closed the door behind me. I watched as he poured himself a glass of water. He sipped thoughtfully, before dumping the glass on the counter. I made my way to him. My hand trailed down his shoulder as I leaned in for a kiss. He stepped away.

"You've got some fucking nerve," he said to me with narrowed eyes.

I shifted backwards. "Pardon?" I asked.

"Do you think I'm some kind of idiot? What the hell are you?"

I blinked as he attacked me with words now. "What?" I chuckled in confusion.

Paul met my eyes now. "You hooked up with your ex," he answered.

My expression dropped. I opened my mouth to reply, but Paul lifted his hand up to stop me. It seemed like a habit of his to shut me up this way. I didn't like it much.

"Don't say anything if you're going to lie," he said. I didn't answer. I just looked back at him, feeling heat rush to my face. He shook his head in disdain. "I can't fucking believe it. I encourage you to work with him to fix your situation and within three weeks into our relationship you fucking cheated on me with him."