Chapter 127

Jeremy's POV 

I invited Lucas over for breakfast at the house the next morning. I woke up early in the morning and prepared everything, making sure to prepare an extra portion for Sean as well, since he'd be around. In fact, I left him munching on a homemade granola bar and pancakes with a dash of yoghurt and maple syrup when the doorbell rang.

It felt like tending to a child sometimes. But I didn't mind. Not with Sean.

I opened the door to Lucas. He stood behind the door, smiling at me, wearing a thick cream-coloured cardigan on top of a plain white t-shirt and brown chinos, and matching Chelsea boots. He held a checked dark brown coat in his left hand, and a small plant with white flowers in the other.

"Hi!" I said. I realised that I was sounding too enthusiastic. But Lucas responded with the same upbeat tone.

"Good morning!" he said to me, his smile getting wider. He handed me the plant, which had white spherical shaped flowers. "Sorry, I didn't know what to bring. So I brought you a peace lily. To wish you health and happiness in your home."

I found myself smiling back. "Thanks. You didn't have to bring me anything." I took the plant. My hand brushed against his and we looked at each other, until I realised that I hadn't invited him inside. I opened the door wider for him and he stepped inside. "I've been looking forward to this," I admitted as I closed the door.

"Me too," Lucas answered. "How are you?" His eyes melted into mine.

I shifted awkwardly. I could never lie. Let alone when someone was looking at me that way. "I've had a couple of off-days," I admitted. "But you're here now. So I feel better." I led him towards the kitchen.

"I didn't know you were so enthusiastic to see me," Lucas said, grabbing my hand. We rounded the corner and were met with Sean sitting at the breakfast table. Lucas let go of my hand and stepped back.

Sean looked up from his coffee and pancake. He had a book in front of him, too. "Hey, good morning, Lucas," he said with an easy smile. He continued eating like this hadn't fazed him at all.

"Good morning." Lucas appeared slightly taken aback. "How are you?" he asked him. I smiled as he struggled with words. I made my way to the coffee table inside the living room and placed the plant there.

"Good, thanks. You?" I heard Sean answer.

"Um, great, thank you. I sort of forgot you live here." Lucas's tone sounded slightly apologetic.

I made my way back to them.

"Don't worry, I'll get out of your hair soon enough," Sean replied jovially. His eyes flickered to mine and I saw mischief in them. Yep, it was like taking care of a little boy alright. I needed to get Lucas away from Sean when he was in this mood, before he passed a comment about him and I.

"No need to, Sean," I said to him. I took Lucas's coat from him and grabbed his arm. "Can I show you around the house?"

Lucas arched an eyebrow. "Only if you agree to also show me your bedroom," he said teasingly. I felt my face redden as my eyes caught Sean's glance. He was looking more than a little amused as he chewed his food.

I gently pushed Lucas towards the other side of the house. "I have a library. That is much more impressive than my bedroom in our world," I retorted.

Lucas considered this. "True." We walked away from Sean, and he glanced over at me. "He is so different," he commented about Sean.

I nodded. "He has been through a lot," I said in a low voice.

Lucas regarded me quietly. "You went through it with him, too," he answered softly. I nodded for the second time. He took my hand in his, and I forced a smile. I led him to the library, which was on the ground floor, behind the stairs.