Chapter 131

Sean's POV

Malcolm drove me to university to meet with Professor Hurst the next morning. Both of us were still reeling from the shock of how the video had become public and everyone we knew had seen it. But Malcolm thought it best if we stuck together during the whole ordeal.

I glanced towards him as he drove carefully. "Thanks for this," I said.

"Mhm," he mumbled in reply. He'd insisted on driving me.

I regarded him quietly. "How did your mum take it?" I asked.

"She took it." He exhaled, before looking at me through the mirror very quickly. "No parent wants to see their son or daughter do that sort of thing on camera." He looked at the road again.

"I'll bet," I murmured, wondering how my own parents would take such news. Actually, I couldn't begin to imagine my mother seeing all that I'd been through ever since she'd passed away. It was bad enough that my father had to see most of it.

I pushed these imposing thoughts away. "What about your job? The fact that they fired you," I said to Malcolm now.

He sighed. "She says I'm capable of finding another job. And she was very angry about the fact that my boss made a homophobic comment in my regard."

"I agree," I mumbled.

Malcolm was silent for a while. Then he spoke. "I might contact Frank, ask if he'd give me my job as a mechanic back for now. Or I can ask Paul if they need anyone at the garage he works at."

I frowned. A lawyer capable like Malcolm, having to go back to work as a mechanic. "You're willing to go back to that?" I asked him. As soon as the words left my mouth I realised that I'd worded it wrong.

Malcolm picked up on my tone. "Not all of us are rich like you," he commented, although not disdainfully, like he'd done in the past.

"No. I know." I frowned again. "I'm just sorry this happened."

"Me too." Malcolm exhaled.

I glanced towards him. I remembered that he'd mentioned Paul. "How's Paul? How did he take this?" I asked him.

He sighed now. "I don't know. He's been supportive, although a bit quiet. I don't blame him," he said. "We'll see if he can accept this on top of the rest of the shit I made him go through."

"I'm sorry," I mumbled. Although it broke my heart each time I saw Malcolm with Paul, I wanted to ensure that he was happy. He deserved that.

"It's not your fault."

The rest of the journey was quiet.

Malcolm parked in what seemed to be his usual parking spot at the university. We emerged and started walking side by side. I glanced over at him. He was wearing a thick grey pullover on top of a white shirt, which he'd casually left untucked, and skinny black chinos, and tan Chelsea boots. He wore a mid-length charcoal grey coat on top. As per usual, he looked amazing.

He caught me staring at him. I smiled sheepishly. And although he was down in the dumps because of what had happened, I saw him smile back. I flexed my hand, resisting the urge to grab his hand into mine. It had been way too long since I'd felt so close to him.

We'd gotten so close these past couple of weeks...

So close, but still far. Too damn far.

"I'm thinking that I'm not going to go in with you for the meeting," he said to me, looking across at me. We walked up to the Criminology Building.

"Mm, I think you're right," I said with a frown. I swallowed the bile in my throat. "I'm so embarrassed," I admitted to him.

He stopped at the door. "About the video, right?" He looked uncomfortable, and I wondered why this was.