Chapter 100

Malcolm's POV

I had a relatively straightforward day at the office, working on a few case files, whilst preparing for an upcoming trial the following week. I texted Paul back and forth throughout the day. He really had made me feel better. I also messaged Sophie, because I was still worried about the way she'd left the meeting, crying in her car.

How are you sweetheart? I asked her.

She replied after a few minutes. Not bad, thanks. How are you?

I'm okay. Are you busy tonight? Want to meet up?

I'd love to meet. Not busy, but if I stay at home Cole might show up.

I thought about it for a few seconds. I wanted Sophie to feel better. I'd warmed up to her quicker than I'd ever warmed up to anyone before, except for Sean. But that situation had been different.

Do you want to come over to my house? We can spend the evening together. I'll send you the address.

She answered instantly. Yes please. Thanks Malcolm xxx

I messaged her with the details, and turned my attention back to work.

I was relieved to find the house empty when I got home. I showered and made my way to the kitchen, phone in hand, waiting for Sophie to arrive.

Paul messaged me with a link, followed by the words What a strange family.

I clicked on the link in confusion. It redirected me to an article on a website. I frowned as I read the title.

The infamous Sean Michigan spotted on a friendly date for the first time since his prison release - and freedom certainly looks good on him!

Huh. I started reading the article.

This morning, the former drug dealer and convict Sean Michigan was seen strolling around town with childhood friend Jeremy Finley. The pair looked cosy as they made their way through a local park and high street, sipping on iced coffee - in February - and enjoying Michigan's newly founded freedom.

Michigan, who is the elder son of the late tycoon Martin Michigan, was looking at his best as he walked around town, wearing a Givenchy hoodie and Versace trousers and hiking boots, paired with a Balmain jacket, and his long hair lying loose and eyes framed by rounded Prada glasses, in what seems to have become his signature look recently.

The former police officer was convicted on five counts of drug dealing in February 2014, and sentenced to four years in prison. News about his stances kept disgracing his family along the years, particularly about his drug use during his job as an officer of the law, and, more prominently, his frequent abuse of power through the seduction of suspects during interrogation. Five women stepped forward to recount their stories on the matter, where it is understood that Michigan used sex for information on potential suspects.

Since his conviction, Sean Michigan seems to have turned over a new leaf: he obtained a Master's degree in Criminology through a scholarship whilst imprisoned, and is now following a Ph.D. at the local university, where he is also reportedly teaching undergraduate students. Whilst we are confused about how the university can enrol a former criminal, going as far as giving him a teaching position, we do hope that Michigan has really reformed. The following photos present him as content and carefree, sharing a moment (or more) with his closest friend.

Finley, who owns two bars in town, reportedly never gave up on his friend, visiting him in jail weekly and taking care of all his possessions. The two friends have been inseparable for all their lives, and now even share a home on the upper east side of town.