Chapter 121

Sean's POV

I spent the next few minutes trying to work on my thesis, taking down notes from what Malcolm had made reference to. I glanced outside a couple of times, my stomach in shreds with the knowledge that he was still outside, and that I may be able to see him again at any given moment. I felt slightly pathetic at this thought.

Louis waited for another bartender to cover him at the bar before he made his way to me. He pulled up the chair Malcolm had been sitting on and sat down next to me.

"How are you?" he asked me.

"Good, thanks." I shot him a smile. He nodded, his eyes flitting towards the entrance, as if he was also searching for Malcolm with his eyes, like I had done a few minutes earlier.

"Wasn't that weird?" he inquired. I shrugged to show that I hadn't understood what he meant. He elaborated. "How he was with you here and suddenly the other guy comes over."

I chuckled. "It's not weird. He was just helping me with my work. He'd told me that he was meeting Paul here. I'm just happy that we're on good terms after all that happened."

"Yeah, but I saw the way you were looking at each other and..." Louis shook his head. "Sorry. My mind goes into extreme thinking mode."

I arched an eyebrow. "And how was Malcolm looking at me, you say?" I asked.

"Same as you were looking at him, but a bit more composed." Louis smirked and I felt my heart flip at this information. "I'm good at this. Finding out stuff by being nosey. And I also tend to root for those people whom I believe are meant to be together. Sort of like Jeremy with your sister." His gaze was serious now.

I sighed, picking a pen with my hand. "Yeah, that one sucks," I said. "Jeremy wasn't too well these past couple of days. You know Soph moved in with us anyway?" I asked him.

Louis shook his head. "No. What the heck?"

I nodded. "The evening Cole came looking for her here. She wasn't answering because she was moving stuff into Jer's house. Malcolm and Paul were helping her. Jeremy went ballistic when he found them at the house. She's meant to be living with us, even though she's hardly there. That's why I'm meeting him here tonight, to ease the tension." I frowned.

Louis looked perplexed. His hand went to his face. "What a mess." He met my gaze. "I'm sorry, by the way, for what you went through with..." He trailed off, not wanting to mention Cole.

I offered a smile. "You don't know half of it. But, I appreciate it. Thanks."

Louis nodded, appearing uncomfortable. He glanced towards the bar. It was getting a bit busy. He stood up. "I'll catch you later," he said, and made his way towards the bar. The other bartender exhaled in relief.

My eyes shifted back to my work in front of me. I exhaled, then picked up my phone to message Jeremy.

Are you okay? At what time will you be here?

I set the phone back down and attempted to continue with my work. My phone vibrated almost instantly. He'd replied. I glanced at it without lifting it up.

I'm OK. With Gavin. I'll come by in 30-45 minutes.

I sighed. I'd been out of jail for around a month and so much had already happened. Malcolm had argued with me and basically told me to commit suicide - I'd taken his words seriously for a while - and then he'd made a pass at me and then he hated me and suddenly he didn't anymore. I'd started my course and was actually doing well. And I was contentedly living with my best friend, who had finally admitted that he and my sister were in a relationship. But the freakiest part in all of this was that Sophie had gone back to Cole, when she knew what he'd done, and had taken it extremely seriously when she'd first found out. And she'd subsequently broken my heart. But not just mine - because after all I'd been through, I could accept almost anything in my life. The worst was how she'd broken Jeremy. That one hurt and it hurt a lot. There were moments when he appeared okay. But then reality soon emerged. And the truth was that I was extremely worried about him.