Chapter 137

Sophie's POV

The night was difficult for me. I kept on replaying the conversation Jeremy and I had had with each other, the familiarity of his voice, soothing me, his skin against mine as I'd hugged him, the way he'd looked at me later, in Sean's bedroom. I yearned for the past, for the wonderful moments we'd spent with each other, before everything had changed and had been ruined.

As I made my way to my office the next morning, I tried not to think too much about the way he and Lucas had been together before they'd realised that I'd been watching. Or about the fact that I'd seemed to have pushed him right into his arms at the ideal moment... while I was failing in my own mission.

I walked past my assistant and made my way to my own office. "Don't let anyone come in to see me today, Lisa," I told her, still walking. "I'm in a bad mood."

"Ms Michigan, wait." She stood up. I stopped walking. "Sorry, but that's a bit too late. Mr McCarthy has already called asking for you, and for me to tell you when you arrive."

I shifted on my legs, trying not to look too disappointed at the mention of Cole. "I suppose he's allowed to speak to me," I answered, even though the last thing I felt like was speaking to the most obnoxious person on the planet. I turned to leave.

"And there's someone waiting for you next to your office," Lisa continued.

I turned back swiftly. "I thought I made it quite clear that no one should be allowed in without a prior appointment," I retorted.

"I know that, but she was insistent." Lisa's eyes met mine and I found myself admiring her, because in spite of the way I acted all bossy around here, she wasn't scared, or worried, that I might dismiss her. "I allowed her in, because she says she's a close friend of your brother, and of Jeremy's."

I frowned. Who did I know who was close to Sean and Jeremy? Alice? Ella?

I made my way to my office without saying anything else to Lisa. My mouth dipped down in distaste when I realised that it was Camille who was standing next to my office, waiting for me.

My eyes met hers briefly, before I carried on walking to the clear glass door. I ignored her as I unlocked it.

"Sophie," she called. I glanced at her briefly, before focusing my attention back on the door.

"I don't speak to people if they don't have appointments," I informed her, making my way to my desk. I switched on the lights.

To my disdain, she followed me inside. I really didn't like her.

She scoffed. "I don't care about your appointments. I'm here to speak to you about Sean."

I ignored her. I set about placing my black birkin bag on the designated area under my desk, and switched on my computer. Then I sat down at my desk, and looked up at her. "You may set up an appointment with my assistant outside, if you wish to speak to me about Sean."

The look that Camille shot me back was poisonous. "I'm not going to set an appointment. I came to look for you here because if I showed up at Jeremy's, Sean wouldn't let me confront you," she retorted.

"Confront me?" I scoffed. "Confront me about what?"

Unfortunately, Camille was still standing in front of my desk, not looking as if she was planning on leaving anytime soon. "It's bad enough that you played with Jeremy's feelings for over two years. But what you're doing to Sean, your own brother, when he's been through so much, is evil. Not that I'd expect anything less from you, to be honest," she said to me.

I glared at her. "What are you on about, Camille? Can't you just leave? I'm busy."

I wasn't in the mood for a confrontation this morning, especially with her, of all people. I was still radiating with hope from the mini-interaction I'd had with Jeremy the previous evening. She wasn't going to ruin this for me.