Chapter 70

Sean's POV

I was sitting down on the sofa, reading my methodology book, when the key turned in the lock and, after a few seconds, I saw Jeremy walk in. He put his keys on the coffee table and sat down next to me.

"Hey," I said with a smile.

"Hello," he said to me, putting both arms around me. He hugged me tightly. "How are you?"

"Good," I answered. "It feels strange to be able to do what I want without anyone dictating anything on me. Well, except for Sophie." I chuckled.

"You'll learn to ignore her in good time," Jeremy answered me. I watched him curiously, wondering whether his feelings for her had ever changed. He shifted, turning his hug into a casual arm around my shoulder. "How was dinner?"

"Good, good." Everything was good for me today. I hadn't had any sort of freedom in four years.

"Where's Soph?" he looked around for her. "Did she leave you on your own on your first night back?"

"No. I don't know what she's up to, she seemed to know the structure of this house very well," I said suggestively.

"Aha. Okay." Jeremy smiled weakly at me, not wanting to give anything away. It was so easy to read him. And it wasn't hard to tell that something was off with him tonight.

"You alright?" I asked him.

He frowned now. "Yeah." He couldn't lie to me to save his life. I felt him squeeze my shoulder, hard, and then place his head on it. "This is so nice," he said.

"What is?"

"Finally being able to be close to you, my favourite person in the world, after so damn long."

"That must be offensive to so many people," I answered. I had a few people in mind, but I didn't want to ask him for details right at this second. We had ample time together, now. It was strange, to be free.

"Nah."

It was right at this moment that Sophie walked into the room. She was already frowning before she saw Jeremy cuddled up to me, so I assumed that she'd heard the conversation. Her mouth turned down in distaste when she saw the way we were sitting.

"Ugh, not this, again," she said sourly.

I watched in amusement as Jeremy released me and shifted away from me, without looking at Sophie or speaking. I chuckled and touched his hand with mine lightly, before standing up and walking up to my younger sister.

"Four years, Soph," I told her, pulling her towards me. "I've been craving human contact that isn't some other inmate for that long."

"You're right," she conceded, and hugged me back. "Jeremy is number one, though, right?"

"Not just for me, I believe," I said suggestively. I watched as the two of them glanced at each other briefly, before Jeremy looked back down. Interesting.

I glanced at the large clock on the wall. It was just after 10pm. I'd usually be in my cell right now, lights off. I'd trained my eyes to be able to read in the dark, so I could study. That was always preferable to Anthony's visits...

"Jer, do you have any tea? I feel like something but I have no idea what to take," I told Jeremy. He stood up, catching my eye in what appeared to be amusement. I guess it was funny to him, that I didn't drink alcohol anymore.

"Of course, let me show you."

"Thanks." He'd bought a new house instead of the apartment I remembered spending so much time at, so I didn't know the location of anything yet.