Chapter 58

Sean's POV 

But in reality it wasn't a goodbye. Malcolm and I found it difficult to stay away from each other. At first it started with a couple of text messages every day, but it quickly changed.

How are you? I messaged him a few days after we'd broken up. We'd been in touch daily since.

Good, but bored. What did I do in life before I met you?

I smiled at Malcolm's reply. I miss you too, Malcolm. I added a wink to the message.

Hahaha, he answered.

Another message pinged in. Do you feel like grabbing a drink tonight? As friends...

We're friends now?

I think so. What do you think?

I'd love to be your friend. And yes for the drink!

And we'd met, catching up while maintaining our distance from each other. It wasn't easy, but at least I was seeing Malcolm again. I could tell he felt the same way, too.

I spent more time with Jeremy, Sophie and my father over these days, too. With Jeremy, I opened up about what had happened, whilst I tried to repair the relationship with my family at the same time. I was slowly trying to accept the truth, that Malcolm and I weren't going to be together.

But it didn't mean I couldn't still see him. We still messaged, and he often showed up at my apartment, so much so that we were meeting even more than we used to when we were a couple.

He messaged me on Friday night, when I was sitting in front of the TV, Jeremy lying by my side sipping on a beer.

Broke up with a police officer at the worst time grrrr.

I smiled at the message. Haha, what's up? I asked.

I have an assignment. I have to interview an official of the law for it, to get different perspectives. Any chance you can give me Clark's number?

I frowned. You can still interview me. Come over, I wrote.

Jeremy glanced at me in interest, before peering over my shoulder to see who I was messaging. "Don't tell me you're kicking me out," he said incredulously.

I chuckled. "I might."

Malcolm replied, Really?

Yes, of course.

I'll be there in one hour, then.

I looked up at Jeremy. "Okay, I'm kicking you out in precisely forty-five minutes," I told him.

He watched me silently. He'd been concerned about me over the past few days, especially when he'd heard that Malcolm and I had decided to end our relationship, and that Malcolm had made me watch Ella's video. He called and visited every day, making sure I wouldn't spiral out of control. But my constant contact with Malcolm, plus the fact that I'd mutually agreed with him to end things, had helped me stay sane - as sane as I could be at this moment, anyway.

"Some friend you are," Jeremy told me now. We exchanged looks, and I placed an arm around him.

"I'm the best, actually," I said.

"Sure." Jeremy chuckled as he turned to me. "So, what's happening, exactly? You still meet up? Think you'll be making up?"

"I don't know," I admitted. "I mean, I miss being with him, knowing he's mine and that we're together. But I'm happy not to have lost him for good. And who knows... I mean..." I trailed off.